Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherizona

Aloe barberae watering in summer

sherizona
11 years ago

I have an aloe barberae in a large planter. It is about 6 feet tall. Lately the about 2/3 of the plant's leaves are hanging down, bending near the trunk. The top 1/3 is upright and healthy. It gets about 3 hours of morning sun and that's it, at least for the summer. I have it in full sun during the winter. The trunk base does not appear to be rotting and the trunk itself is strong. The drooping leaves are still very green with a smidge of sunburn (old sunburn, nothing recent).

Is this a winter growing aloe here in PHX? Should I not water it until then? It seems so cruel ;) I watered it about once every two weeks in the spring and that's what the summer schedule was until I noticed the drooping. I haven't watered it in about 3 weeks. Any ideas?

Comments (12)

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

Just a wild ol' guess here - I bet it's pot-bound, and that could be why it's wilting. Not that you're watering it wrong, just that it might not be getting all the water you're actually giving it.

My disclaimer is that I've not grown this plant and I could be completely off. But after a quick scan of the 'net, it appears to be pretty cold tender, so you'll definitely want to have it in a protected area. I imagine it's getting pretty hard to move....

• azant
    11 years ago

This link should give you everything you need to know, saves me from typin a bunch too, not to mention it is 3:30am.

http://davesgardin.com/community/forums/t/801726/#b

Replace the "i" with an "e" in gardin and your good to go. (spam filters...)

• sherizona
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you both. Yes, it is super heavy. It's only been in the current pot for about 4 months. It has grown a little but I suppose the roots could be growing way faster. My in-laws have the same one (I bought two) growing in full sun in their backyard and it looks great oddly enough. I'll take a look at the root system today and see what's up.

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

Best of luck to you!

• grant_in_arizona
    11 years ago

Hiya Sherizona and all,

How long have you been growing yours? A. barberae (aka A. bainsii by some) are notoriously difficult for hot summer areas that get any rain at all. If you've been growing it for several years, I hope you're proud. :)

I grew A. dichotoma in my last garden and now have a 7 foot tall A. 'Hercules' that I bought as a 2 foot plant five years ago (A. bainsii x A. dichotoma) in my current garden. Happily it takes after its father (A. dichotoma) and loves it here. I give it ZERO water in summer. None. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Like most tree aloes 'Hercules' and certainly dichotoma enter heat induced semi-dormancy here and really can't utilize much water when it's super hot.

Let us know what you do with your barberae, and how it works out!

Take care,
    Grant

• grant_in_arizona
    11 years ago

By the way, just for fun, here's a quick pic of my Aloe 'Hercules' from yesterday (with Wilson the tennis ball included to show size). Continued success with your tree aloe! Take care and happy gardening everyone!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics from my garden June 2012

• sixferrets
    10 years ago

Geez Grant that is amazing. I'm in Tucson and have 2 A. dichotoma in pots on my front porch, they get morning sun but look kind of funny. I am brand new to caudiciforms, Aloe Trees & Yucca. They seem to be getting brown on some of the leaves. They're maybe a foot tall. My C. juttae is also struggling. Are yours in full sun? The only place that doesn't get full sun all day long is the front porch. Help...please. You're doing something right!

• grant_in_arizona
    10 years ago

Thanks, sixferrets, I'm glad you like 'Hercules'. He's even bigger this year with two heads (branches) and he even flowered this past winter too. He DOES seem pretty happy. He gets all day sun spring through late autumn, and then only half a day in winter when the sun is low. I think 'Hercules' is muuuuuuch easier to grow and keep happy than A. dichotoma--I've killed several of those quickly, LOL. He's in full hot sun right now. But he, and dichotoma always are dropping some lower leaves, so hopefully that's what's going on with yours? Any pics??

Happy gardening, and here are a couple of recent pics of 'Hercules' in the back garden. Happy gardening all!

{{gwi:408571}}

{{gwi:408572}}

{{gwi:399391}}

• scubatahiti
    10 years ago

Here is a different perspective

• scubatahiti
    10 years ago

Can you see the Chuckwalla?

This post was edited by scubatahiti on Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 17:56

• sixferrets
    10 years ago

Scubatahiti, Grant,

WOW! I am speechless & trust me...that doesn't happen very often! You expect me to post pic's after seeing your plants???? Lol. I will take a couple when the sun comes up. I moved my " babies" back so that they don't get as much direct morning sun.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor