Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cara cara orange tree help

Posted by boids (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 21:35

It got hit hard by the frost this last winter and started to come back and now it looks like its starting to take a step back on me. Anyone got any idea of what i can try. I'll post more pics as follow ups.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cara cara orange tree help

another

o

I did just trip the dead off before i took these pics.

o

How are you watering and feeding? I have a Cara Cara and it's been a beast growing from 3' to about 12' in 5 Yrs. I would be concerned about your tree burning in this heat without any leaves to shade it.

o

• Posted by AJBB 9b (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 22:18

Shade it with shade cloth with a minimum light blocking rate of 50%. ASAP.

o

Yes, put up a screen over it ASAP!

o

I'd suggest adding a 3 - 4 inch layer of organic mulch in the watering basin. Just don't pile it up against the trunk. It will slow evaporation and keep the soil cool.

Also, check your trunk wrap to make sure there is good air circulation. Loosen the wrap if necessary.

o

I also have a small blood orange tree, but mine is in a big clay pot. It's sulking.

V8, I'm amazed your grew that well. I've read mixed reviews on their success here.

o

Ugh, sorry to see this. You've gotten some great suggestions for helping it. Honestly, if it was mine, I'd rip it out, leave the spot alone all summer and replant in mid-autumn and try again. Let us know what you do and how it works out.

I've grew 'Cara Cara' orange at my last garden here in Scottsdale and it did great (and still is the current owner tells me), and now I've got a small 'Moro' blood orange that's made a ton of growth in 2.5 years now in my current Scottsdale garden, so they can thrive here, but maybe yours has just had a couple streaks of bad luck. I'd cut my losses with this particular one, but maybe you're more tender hearted!

Let us know what you do and how it works out. Good luck, and happy gardening!

Take care,
Grant

o

Rich, this tree was my first & only citrus tree . It was also an "impulse buy" that I bought at Lowe's not knowing anything about citrus trees. I'm shocked how well it all worked out everytime I look at it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here