Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best time to trim?

Posted by GermanStar 9b (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 22:44

I have three good-sized Lavender bushes (Lavandula stoechas); one has some large gaps in the foliage and is a bit unsightly. When is the best time to trim and how severe should the trim be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best time to trim?

I am sorry but I do think you missed the time to trim.
Trimming must be done RIGHT after they bloom.
1/3 down and 1/3 out is the general rule. If the bush is 6' tall then remove 2/+ feet from the height. If you have 6 Large stems take out 2 of them along with shaping
If you trim now after it has started its new growth, you will trim off the buds for next year and will not get any blooms next spring. I trimmed mine back in May and now have about 2/3' of new growth and will not touch it until next year after bloom. Sorry

o
RE: Best time to trim?

Not sure what you're sorry about. I had no intention of trimming in the dead of summer, and an a bit miffed I need to do it at all. My other Lavender bushes are thick and round (example shown from a few weeks back), and I won't ever touch them as long as that holds true. Dunno why this one got so ugly. In any case, thanks for the info, I shall trim in spring rather than autumn.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here