Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tea Cups, Bee Cups

Posted by tomatofreak Z9 Phx USA (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 29, 12 at 22:46

I initially put these cups (there are two) out as a bit of garden decor, but filled them with water for birds. They have been entirely co-opted by bees and yellow wasps. I fill both cups twice a day at least. They drink every drop and I feel guilty if the water runs out. If the cups run dry and I start filling with the water wand, they rush to the wand to drink. Now I have to get a bird bath and put it somewhere else in the yard for the birds. Btw, the piece of bark is in there as a life raft. Bees can't lift off like wasps do so they climb on the raft to fly off.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tea Cups, Bee Cups

That's really nifty! :) Great idea to give the bees a launch pad. There must be a beehive somewhere nearby. I see bees in the garden but they don't take water from my birdbaths (which are nothing but large terracotta saucers filled with water).

o

Wonderful! It's terrific that you're providing such nice resources for wildlife. I love it. I'm super envious too, as I love bees and hornets/wasps.

In my last garden, I had a slow-drip water water feature that always had bees drinking from it and I loved it. In my current place (in Scottsdale not too far from the old one) I do get quite a few bees, but they only visit the flowers and not the several birdbaths I keep filled. Grrrr. I'm envious. Oh way, I already said that. Well, it's true!

Great post and pic, thanks for sharing it!

o

I haven't seen many of the larger types of wasps around until recently, there's been a big golden one scouting around. I like them hunting in my garden; don't want them building a nest on my porch. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here