Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gallenh

Lawns and heat

gallen
12 years ago

This happens to me every year and so it's time to ask. I have a bit (about 20x30) of Bermuda lawn (a mix of hybrid and regular) in my backyard. The lawn gets full sun in the morning through noon and then the north 1/2 of it is shaded by the house. There is a large pine in the front yard about 30 feet from the north end of the lawn; tall enough not to shade the lawn (probably because it's to the north). During growth season the lawn gets watered 3x/week putting down a 1/2+ inch each time. OK, so here's the annual scenerio:

The north section of lawn greens up the first followed by the south portion. Both look lush and great up until the extreme heat hits (as now). The lawn then slowly begins to act like an old man loosing his hair: takes on a slight silvery hue and the grass stems which grow appear thinner and more spaced (sparse). This appears more prominent in the north end and, in some past years, the north end has even almost died out. But the next spring, it's the first to turn lush....and the cycle repeats.

I'm stumped. The only thing that I can think of is that the roots of the pine tree sap the water from the soil in the north end when it gets hot and the pine gets stressed (although it gets a deep water once a month). Otherwise it seems to me that the south end of the grass would be more heat stressed since it doesn't get any shade to speak of.

OK: Probably too long but I wanted to give as much info as possible. Thanks for reading and if you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them. BTW: I fertilize once per month during the growth season and although I've thatched when it seems necessary, I've never done the plug-removal-aerating.

Comments (5)