Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newtoucan

Eastern Redbud

newtoucan
11 years ago

Will an Eastern Redbud tree survive out here in Phoenix?

Comments (12)

• naturelover42
    11 years ago

If you really want a Redbud you should plant the Western Redbud (Cercis Occidentalis) which is more adapted to our climate. Eastern is more adapted to humid climates. See the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Western Redbud

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

Believe me, if the Eastern Redbud - and the Dogwood - did well out here, I'd have a yard full!

• piranhafem
    11 years ago

Mexican Redbuds are beautiful trees. They have a couple at the Tucson Botanical Gardens that are gorgeous. Check them out.

• azant
    11 years ago

toucan, anything is quite possible, and there are alternatives to the mexican redbud. These below were a little chlorotic the first few years but now they stay pretty green all summer. These were little 5 gallon whiplets in 2008 :) These are on a flood irrigated lot as well.

Avondale
    {{gwi:409264}}
    Appalachian Red
    {{gwi:409265}}
    Forest Pansy (loses it's purple color by the beginning of July)
    {{gwi:409266}}

p.s. don't mind the bermuda and spurge lol...

• newtoucan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Naturelover42: I looked up "Western Redbud" and its leaves look exactly like my leaves. I wonder if I got a mislabeled Redbud. I did get it from the Master Gardener Sale out in CA so I think they would label it correctly, but you never know.

Azant: Very nice trees. Do you happen to have pictures of their leaves in the fall and the flowers in the Spring? I'm glad you've shown that those can grow well out here. Too bad I don't have flood irrigation.

On the other hand, aren't we in a drought? I always wonder why some people out here flood their yards, when we are in a desert environment and agriculture needs the water. Of course, I would probably be doing the same if I lived on irrigated property, but I just wonder why that is so.

• naturelover42
    11 years ago

Toucan,

Yesterday I found this wonderful list of landscape plants kept by a professor at ASU for his landscape students. I LOVE it because it tells you everything you'd want to know about plants, even the diseases they're prone to get.

Click on Trees and then click on Cercis. I've bookmarked this site, it's the most helpful of all lists I've found.

Here is a link that might be useful: ASU list of Phoenix landscape plants

• azant
    11 years ago

Toucan, here's a link on a good thread which also links to srp's website which migt give you a little more insight

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/azgard/msg0911311426181.html

• v8vega
    11 years ago

I've been wanting to purchase a couple of Western Redbuds, but I think it's to hot to have them shipped. Anyway, while I was looking for a seller, I found this wholesaler in Ca. Their selection is awesome.
    http://www.lecooke.com/cms/shade-trees/shade-trees-acer-chionanthus/cercis-redbud.html

• newtoucan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, these trees are some of the most beautiful trees around. I like that they change every season.

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

I've been looking at the Mexican Redbuds ... anyone with any experience with them? After spending the last 6 years in Tennessee, spring will definitely be a little duller for me without a redbud or two....

• azant
    11 years ago

They do fine pagancat, might be a little chlorotic or salt burnt for 2-3 years after planting after that they slowly turn into a nice small tree. Flowers are not the biggest i've seen for the genus but still beautiful.

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

Thanks, azant - I'll have to keep an eye out from them. I should be picking out trees from a nursery next week. Can hardly wait!!!