Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eastern Redbud

Posted by toucan 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 0:00

Will an Eastern Redbud tree survive out here in Phoenix?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eastern Redbud

If you really want a Redbud you should plant the Western Redbud (Cercis Occidentalis) which is more adapted to our climate. Eastern is more adapted to humid climates. See the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Western Redbud

o

Believe me, if the Eastern Redbud - and the Dogwood - did well out here, I'd have a yard full!

o

Mexican Redbuds are beautiful trees. They have a couple at the Tucson Botanical Gardens that are gorgeous. Check them out.

o

toucan, anything is quite possible, and there are alternatives to the mexican redbud. These below were a little chlorotic the first few years but now they stay pretty green all summer. These were little 5 gallon whiplets in 2008 :) These are on a flood irrigated lot as well.

Avondale
Photobucket
Appalachian Red
Photobucket
Forest Pansy (loses it's purple color by the beginning of July)
Photobucket

p.s. don't mind the bermuda and spurge lol...

o

Naturelover42: I looked up "Western Redbud" and its leaves look exactly like my leaves. I wonder if I got a mislabeled Redbud. I did get it from the Master Gardener Sale out in CA so I think they would label it correctly, but you never know.

Azant: Very nice trees. Do you happen to have pictures of their leaves in the fall and the flowers in the Spring? I'm glad you've shown that those can grow well out here. Too bad I don't have flood irrigation.

On the other hand, aren't we in a drought? I always wonder why some people out here flood their yards, when we are in a desert environment and agriculture needs the water. Of course, I would probably be doing the same if I lived on irrigated property, but I just wonder why that is so.

o

Toucan,

Yesterday I found this wonderful list of landscape plants kept by a professor at ASU for his landscape students. I LOVE it because it tells you everything you'd want to know about plants, even the diseases they're prone to get.

Click on Trees and then click on Cercis. I've bookmarked this site, it's the most helpful of all lists I've found.

Here is a link that might be useful: ASU list of Phoenix landscape plants

o

Toucan, here's a link on a good thread which also links to srp's website which migt give you a little more insight

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/azgard/msg0911311426181.html

o

I've been wanting to purchase a couple of Western Redbuds, but I think it's to hot to have them shipped. Anyway, while I was looking for a seller, I found this wholesaler in Ca. Their selection is awesome.
http://www.lecooke.com/cms/shade-trees/shade-trees-acer-chionanthus/cercis-redbud.html

o

Thanks, these trees are some of the most beautiful trees around. I like that they change every season.

o

I've been looking at the Mexican Redbuds ... anyone with any experience with them? After spending the last 6 years in Tennessee, spring will definitely be a little duller for me without a redbud or two....

o

They do fine pagancat, might be a little chlorotic or salt burnt for 2-3 years after planting after that they slowly turn into a nice small tree. Flowers are not the biggest i've seen for the genus but still beautiful.

o

Thanks, azant - I'll have to keep an eye out from them. I should be picking out trees from a nursery next week. Can hardly wait!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here