Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree ID please

Posted by BobsCitrus 9A (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 0:06

I see these small trees planted next to walls in narrow spaces in office parks around town here in Tucson. I think I might have a use for them in some tight areas in my yard.
See attached pic - they are the ones behind the oleander in the foreground and in front of the sagos. I like the tropical looking leaves.
Thx.
BC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree ID please

It looks like an old Mock Orange Shrub. I see these usually planted as hedges, but can be trained as a tree. Blooms early spring and smells like citrus flowers.

o

the genus/species is Pittosporum tobira.

o

Mine are very slow growers.

o

Loquats are smaller trees that are nice and leafy. They may serve the same purpose for you, provide fruit and grow a little faster.

-Ming

o

Loquats will need sun protection for the first few summers. They'll easily burn up during the summer. But it's a great tropical looking tree if you get it pass that. Plus they're pretty cold tolerant.

o

In addition to the link on citrus publications given to you....

Here is a link that might be useful: Watering By Numbers (AZ)

o

thanks for all the great replies :)
BC

o

Fascist, thanks for that useful link. I saved it on my desktop.

Unfortunately, I haven't been checking how deeply my irrigation water is soaking down. Next purchase at HD: a very long screw driver.

o
Ready to use soil probe for sale in Valley?

Yup, I agree about the Pittosporum identification for sure.

The one thing I REALLY wanted to comment on (sorry I couldn't help with the ID I was out of town for several days, but you obviously got great answers, lol) was the soil probe. Has ANYONE ever seen a true, real, ready-to-use soil probe for sale in the Valley? If so, where? I asked this question years ago and no one had, but maybe since then someone has?

I too will get a looooooong screwdriver in the meantime, hah.

Happy gardening all,
Grant

o

Well Dave the Garden Guy on Channel 3 says to use rebar.
Some plants need to be damp 2-3 feet or more and I have never seen a screw driver that long LOL

o

I got this of amazon recently

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CTPXXEE/

pretty nice probe and helps out a lot, I've been watering less ever since I got one. Although it isn't 3ft long lol

o

If you stop at any wrought iron shop (the guys that will make you an iron door or window bars to fit, not HD) they can make you one out of smooth 3/8 rod in five minutes. They sharpen one end on a bench grinder and put a 90 degree bend (or a triangular spade type handle) at the other end. It will last forever and a day more.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here