Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haname

It's Mid-July, Planting Anything Now?

Haname
12 years ago

The Low Desert Planting Calendar has lots of veggies listed that can be planted now. Just wondering if anyone's actually doing it. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting Calendar

Comments (14)

• tracydr
    12 years ago

I'm planting some extra okra. And, some extra basil, I just need more sunny space!

• thisisme
    12 years ago

I will be planting winter squash and winter melons soon and replanting some summer squash.

• mister_gin
    12 years ago

Just put some watermelon seedlings in the ground and potted up some cherry tomato seedlings yesterday. Will be starting some corn in the garage sometime this week. I'll sow some summer squash in a couple of weeks. If I have the room that is.

• HannahK
    12 years ago

I just planted some more summer squashes and cucumbers into the garden. I have my fall tomatoes growing pretty well so far. I started them in their pots outside so that there will be less of a shock to them once they go in the garden with such high temps. I'm hoping to get them in the ground in about 2 or 3 weeks.

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

Replanted summer squash, will be planting winter greens (chinese veggies, lettuce, etc) real soon.

• azcitrus
    12 years ago

I just planted corn, beans, and more cantaloupe! I will need to make another bed so I can plant my lettuce, broccoli, and carrots in a couple of weeks!

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    12 years ago

Just started (7/26) 96 seed cells of various tomatoes. The first 18 or so have popped up and got moved under lights today. Wish me luck! Hope to sell some, give some to friends and have a few left over for myself.

{{gwi:409564}}

12 years ago

hmmmm, don't know what I've done differently on that picture but it's a bit too small to see the setup.

• Haname
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sounds really good Mary! When will you put out transplants?

12 years ago

I'm thinking they will be ready for plant-out mid-September. Hopefully the fall/winter weather will cooperate.........'ya just never know.

Everyone still looks chipper! 8 hours after the pot-up. Probably more poppers tomorrow.

• az_pamperedchef
    12 years ago

I sowed my tomato, squash and cucumber seeds on Monday. All the cukes and squash have sprouted and most of the tomatoes. I've sowed the following:
    Cherokee Purple
    Snowberry
    Ernesto
    Woodle Orange
    Red Zebra
    Green Zebra
    Black Sea Man
    Chocolate Cherry
    Anna Banana Russian
    Green Doctors Frosted
    Big White Pink Stripe
    Mrs.Houseworth
    Ananas Noire
    Bloody Butcher
    Carbon
    Cosoluto Genevose
    Isis Candy
    White Queen

I'm excited to see how it turns out! Anyone had experience with these varieties?

12 years ago

pampered, the only one in your list I've grown is the Bloody Butcher (WHERE do they come up with these names????) They were very tasty, the few I got in early summer. Although there were plenty of fruit on the vines when the temps went up, they seemed to just stop progressing. I finally pulled everything last weekend. Letting the beds rest, will turn in some compost next weekend and get ready for fall/winter.

I've potted up about a dozen of those I started on July 26 to 4" pots, still have maybe a dozen or 18 I that need potting up. Nearly 60 simply failed to germinate. One entire variety, Blondkopfchen, a yellow heirloom cherry from Tomatoe Fest (like all the others), had zero germination. aarrrgggghhh.

Going to start some Oregon Spring Bush today, maybe a few others to offset the failures.

• euqruob
    12 years ago

Costoluto Genovese very nice "ugly" tomato. Green Zebra, didn't like, too tart. Cherokee Purple, fantastic!

Thinking about doing another set of hydroponic tomatoes again, its the only way to grow. Some really good productive ones are Stupice and San Marzano

• desert_dawg
    12 years ago

Cherokee Purple are great. The Isis Candy is my favorite cherry tomato. If you haven't tried the San Marzano you should. They are plum tomatoes, but will win a taste test against just about anything, very meaty and delicious.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?