Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It's Mid-July, Planting Anything Now?

Posted by haname z9 AZ (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 20, 11 at 1:48

The Low Desert Planting Calendar has lots of veggies listed that can be planted now. Just wondering if anyone's actually doing it. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting Calendar

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It's Mid-July, Planting Anything Now?

I'm planting some extra okra. And, some extra basil, I just need more sunny space!

o

I will be planting winter squash and winter melons soon and replanting some summer squash.

o

Just put some watermelon seedlings in the ground and potted up some cherry tomato seedlings yesterday. Will be starting some corn in the garage sometime this week. I'll sow some summer squash in a couple of weeks. If I have the room that is.

o

I just planted some more summer squashes and cucumbers into the garden. I have my fall tomatoes growing pretty well so far. I started them in their pots outside so that there will be less of a shock to them once they go in the garden with such high temps. I'm hoping to get them in the ground in about 2 or 3 weeks.

o

Replanted summer squash, will be planting winter greens (chinese veggies, lettuce, etc) real soon.

o

I just planted corn, beans, and more cantaloupe! I will need to make another bed so I can plant my lettuce, broccoli, and carrots in a couple of weeks!

o

Just started (7/26) 96 seed cells of various tomatoes. The first 18 or so have popped up and got moved under lights today. Wish me luck! Hope to sell some, give some to friends and have a few left over for myself.

o
RE: It's Mid-July What Are You Planting?

hmmmm, don't know what I've done differently on that picture but it's a bit too small to see the setup.

o

Sounds really good Mary! When will you put out transplants?

o

I'm thinking they will be ready for plant-out mid-September. Hopefully the fall/winter weather will cooperate.........'ya just never know.

Everyone still looks chipper! 8 hours after the pot-up. Probably more poppers tomorrow.

o

I sowed my tomato, squash and cucumber seeds on Monday. All the cukes and squash have sprouted and most of the tomatoes. I've sowed the following:
Cherokee Purple
Snowberry
Ernesto
Woodle Orange
Red Zebra
Green Zebra
Black Sea Man
Chocolate Cherry
Anna Banana Russian
Green Doctors Frosted
Big White Pink Stripe
Mrs.Houseworth
Ananas Noire
Bloody Butcher
Carbon
Cosoluto Genevose
Isis Candy
White Queen

I'm excited to see how it turns out! Anyone had experience with these varieties?

o

pampered, the only one in your list I've grown is the Bloody Butcher (WHERE do they come up with these names????) They were very tasty, the few I got in early summer. Although there were plenty of fruit on the vines when the temps went up, they seemed to just stop progressing. I finally pulled everything last weekend. Letting the beds rest, will turn in some compost next weekend and get ready for fall/winter.

I've potted up about a dozen of those I started on July 26 to 4" pots, still have maybe a dozen or 18 I that need potting up. Nearly 60 simply failed to germinate. One entire variety, Blondkopfchen, a yellow heirloom cherry from Tomatoe Fest (like all the others), had zero germination. aarrrgggghhh.

Going to start some Oregon Spring Bush today, maybe a few others to offset the failures.

o

Costoluto Genovese very nice "ugly" tomato. Green Zebra, didn't like, too tart. Cherokee Purple, fantastic!

Thinking about doing another set of hydroponic tomatoes again, its the only way to grow. Some really good productive ones are Stupice and San Marzano

o

Cherokee Purple are great. The Isis Candy is my favorite cherry tomato. If you haven't tried the San Marzano you should. They are plum tomatoes, but will win a taste test against just about anything, very meaty and delicious.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here