Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cjs111_gw

foxtail palms

cjs111
18 years ago

Anyone here ever grown one of these in phoenix? how did it do?

I went to 2 different nurseries, one said it can take full phx sun, but needs to acclimate. They had theirs in full sun and they looked INCREDIBLE. Another nursery,(the more reputable one) said they need shade. THey had there foxtails under shad clothe and they looked very sad.

just trying to gauge everyones experience with these.

THanks

Comments (20)

• lee_tucson
    18 years ago

They've been growing Wodyetia bifurcata at the Phoenix Zoo for a while now. The ones near the elephants in full sun look rather poor. Not a full sun plant in Arizona. They have some smaller ones not to far from the elephants the receive more filtered light and they look better, however there are a few in that area that also look rather poor.

Here's one at the PHX Zoo that looks good.
    {{gwi:409663}}

I've noticed a fair amount for sale that look good while at the nursery.
    {{gwi:409665}}

I really like Wodyetia bifurcata and I think it's a palm certainly worth growing in Phoenix, but I would not plant it in full AZ sun.

A palm with a crownshaft that should be used more in Phoenix is Roystonea regia.
    {{gwi:409667}}

They look great and take the AZ heat and sun much better. I've also found them to grow faster in our dry climate with proper watering. I've grown both from seeds and my year old Wodyetia bifurcata don't compare in growth rate to my year old Roystonea.

Lee

• Pagancat
    18 years ago

LOL, Lee, do you take your camera with you *everywhere* you go? Great pics to illustrate your advice - thanks!!!

• azamigo
    18 years ago

Lee, you are correct-not many people think Royal palms will grow in hot deserts but they will, and often look great. I've seen a few out in Palm Springs and Indio and that's a lot hotter and drier than Phoenix. And honestly, yes if you are in an area that doesn't freeze they look a lot better than Queens. Oddly enough there is even a couple growing at the Royal Palms Hotel on Camelback that although are small look very, very good. For anyone that loves tropical plants the Royal Palms is a great place to check out. They have lots of little courtyards and patios that include many rare tropical plants that more people should try.

• sonotaps
    18 years ago

Ditto on Roystonea Regia. I have three and they are doing very,very well. They love heat and sun as long as they get the water they need. Check out the GIANT one at the state capital palm garden. South side and downtown, so cold is not a problem.

They are good down to 28 degrees but if you are in a cold spot it could be hit or miss.

I have three foxtails that I bought (very small). They love heat (and need heat) but can't take our blasting sun like the Royals can. They are under the Royal(s) canopy. Still, they are doing well and I mulch and water them deeply.

• lee_tucson
    18 years ago

That's funny Pagancat. Yes/no would be the answer to your question about whether or not I take my camera everywhere I go. I try and keep my camera in the car (sometimes I forget), and when ever I see a subtropical that catches my eye I try and snap a picture.

AZamigo I was always annoyed that the Royal Palms Hotel didn't have any Royals. I'm glad to hear they've planted some. I also believe that Roystoneas are a better choice for inside the 101 loop of PHX, Yuma and Ajo then Syagrus.

Sonotaps the picture above that I posted of the Roystonea is the one at the state capitol. Certainly is a great looking one and proof they should be used more in zone 10 AZ.

Lee

• sonotaps
    18 years ago

Lee Tucson:

I can't see the pictures on this computer I am using now. I can tell you though it is worth a visit downtown to slap the trunk of that Royal big boy and hear the 'watermelon' sound. It's great! Seeing it in person would also help someone appreciate how BIG Royals can get and understand that they will self-clean those GIANT fronds and they have to land somewhere. They can really bash plants/cars/anything below. They get VERY big and need to be planted in an appropriate place given our 'typical' ranch style single story homes.

We have more to fear from cold (hence the inner loop 101 area) than extreme heat where growing Roystonea is concerned. I agree with you.

• cjs111
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Lee
    Do you have any pics of the foxtails growing under your Roystonea?

I would love to see them if you do!

Thanks

• cjs111
    Original Author
    18 years ago

what is the difference between the Florida Royal Palm(Roystonea elata ) and the Cuban Royal Palm (Roystonea regia).

anyone have pics?

Much Thanks

• cjs111
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Lee
    Do you have any pics of the foxtails growing under your Roystonea?
    I would love to see them if you do!

Thanks

• lee_tucson
    18 years ago

cjs111,

Here are some of my year old Roystonea regia and a year old Wodyetia bifurcata. The Wodyetia bifurcata is the one in the middle. I have three Foxtails which I sowed all at the same time. The all only have two palm straps. Nothing compared to the Royals. I love Foxtails and I think they're a good specimen palm in Phoenix. However direct sun in AZ is tough on them, even with lots of water. The catch 22 is that then when you grow them in filtered sunlight they'll grow much slower.

(palms in the pic Roystonea regia on the left and right Wodyetia bifurcata in the middle and in the back the silvery purple palm is a Bismarckia that is 4 months old, all are in 5 gallon containers)

{{gwi:409669}}

To answer your question as to the differences between Florida Royal Palm (Roystonea elata) and the Cuban Royal Palm (Roystonea regia), technically there isn't one any longer. They are now considered to be the same species. Roystonea regia was thought to be more drought tolerant because it's native to rocky parts of Cuba where the water tends to run off. Where as Roystonea elata is found in swampy areas of South Florida so was considered to not have the same drought tolerance of R. regia.

Here's a pic I took of a Roystonea borinquena back in my home state of Florida.

{{gwi:409671}}

I love all the Royals.

Let me know how the Royals works out cjs111 and if you try a Foxtail let me know how that works out.

Lee

• cjs111
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I picked up a few foxtails at home depot that are about 5-6 ft tall and about 6 inches wide at the base.

We'll see how they do.

• marissateo
    18 years ago

I have 5 foxtail palms but one of them, has a growth within the upper part of the stem, with a slight bulge. Since I noticed it, i realised that it hasnt sprouted new shoots. What is the problem?

• desertplumeriasaz
    12 years ago

Just wanted to see if anyone has any update on their AZ foxtails. I recently brought a beautiful 6' one back from CA and wondering where to plant it. My last foxtail was from FL and recently died, not sure what happened to it.

Any suggestions?

• jacaranda4321
    10 years ago

Would foxtail or royal palms grow in Laveen, zone 9b?

• aztropic
    10 years ago

Royals more than foxtails would probably grow in Laveen. Limiting factor will be your winter lows. Below 28 can kill a foxtail and a larger royal will survive the lower 20s although will totally defoliate around 25 degrees.

• aztropic
    10 years ago

Here's a couple Royals I grew here in AZ from seed. Several people often sell this species on Craigslist as it can be grown successfully here in our desert.

• jacaranda4321
    10 years ago

Thank u for the replies , I'll check the palms on Craigslist. Where would I find a royal (other then Craigslist) in Phoenix and how would I care for it?

• aztropic
    10 years ago

I don't know of any Phoenix nurseries that import Cuban Royals or any other "exotic" palm for that matter.Your choices are drive to Southern Califonia,mail order, or buy one from a local collector / grower.
    I would recommend waiting until spring to stick one in the ground as they can be frost sensitive as a younger plant.

• aztropic
    10 years ago

I don't know of any Phoenix nurseries that import Cuban Royals or any other "exotic" palm for that matter.Your choices are drive to Southern Califonia,mail order, or buy one from a local collector / grower.
    I would recommend waiting until spring to stick one in the ground as they can be frost sensitive as a younger plant.

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living