Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ariadne82

When to plant for my container garden

Ariadne82
11 years ago

Hi There!

I'm planning to grow vegetables in a small container garden. I'd love something more, but alas, the landlord won't allow it. I grew up in Oklahoma with abundant family gardens, and I miss that freshness and flavor, so despite my limitations I thought I'd give it a try here in the desert.

I have run into conflicting planting dates from everything I've read. I've read UA cooperative extension docs, but have also found different dates from various Tucson gardening organizations! I'm hoping some of you can shed some light for me based on personal experience.

I would really like to grow a cherry tomato plant and a pepper plant if that's even still feasible at this time of year. The Tucson garden association paperwork says it's doable, and a few posts I've found online do as well, but there isn't any instruction. I'm hesitant because I have found no mention of tomato plants being planted this late in "authoritative docs" (namely Coop extension) elsewhere. Still, the mere mention of tomatoes makes me hopeful.

The Tucson Garden Assoc planting guide says tomatoes can be planted from July 15-Aug 15. With the heat, is this even possible? I would use a transplant, but I haven't seen any since June (which, again, with the heat, it makes perfect sense.)

I have the same questions for sweet peppers -- and hot peppers too for that matter.

Is it possible and/or worth the effort at this time of year?

Also, I'm planning to grow kale, spinach and some lettuces from seed, but of course, those are waiting until late August, which seems to be the concensus among most of my research (thankfully.)

Also, any hints for container planting here in beautiful Tucson? The plants will be on my patio, which faces east and receives about 6 hours of full sun. I have read potting mix works well, as long as I fertilize regularly.

Thoughts? I'd love to hear from some green thumbs!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!