Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lemon tree grown in a pot??

Posted by aznativenewbie11 Tempe/9 or sunset 13 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 26, 09 at 9:53

I want to plant a lemon tree(not now of course), but I don't have enough space. Can they be grown in large containers? It was suggested to me to try a dwarf one, but I was also told dwarf trees tend to have more problems. Can a regular one be grown and have it's size contained by a pot?

Also, can anyone suggest a non-desert tree that can be planted safely aprox 2ft from our block fence? I was thinking about a Purple plum tree, but read that the heat from the wall can kill them during the summer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lemon tree grown in a pot??

Your dwarf citrus can be grown in a container. The problems with dwarfs in AZ is the salts amounts in the soils here, it's easily treated and easier to do in a container so I wouldn't worry about that as a issue for container growing, I'd be more concerned with the heat on the container, then again that can be controlled also.
Plums will wilt from radiant heat, but I'd give more than 2' for any tree from a wall if you can, otherwise consider another plant, grapevine maybe?

Here is a link that might be useful: RSI Growers

o

Bamboo, jujubie, mango, guava, banana, to name a few.

o

Great, I have 2 bradford pear trees 2ft away from my wall. The nursery told me that distance would be fine. They were planted in May, 15 gal's, do you know if it could cause them more harm to transplant them when it's cooler or is it just too late?

o

This little guy produced over 20 lemons last year.

This is what he looks like on "cold" nights:

This is what I do with the lemons:

o

Zonny! Great pics! Your lemon tree is great.! Are all of those bottles filled with lemon juice? Or some other treat??

I'm so glad you're embedding pics. So fun to seeeeeee.

Take care,
Grant

o

Lemoncello Grant.

And if GardenWeb has bandwidth, I have pics!!

o

Neat! I had to look it up to see what it is (some type of beautiful liqueur). Very cool.

Thanks for the fun pics and updates--keep them coming. The more pics the better.

Take care,
Grant

o

Wow, and here I was only thinking of using the lemons for menudo and salsa. I've been limiting myself all these years. Thanks for the pics

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here