Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shower trees

Posted by toucan 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 9:55

Anyone growing Shower trees in Phoenix? Do they do well here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shower trees

Shower trees?

What is the species?

o

I thought your were going to talk about showering out trees to wash all the dirt off! What the heck is a "shower tree"?

o

Google says: shower tree aka Cassia fistula

Cassia fistula, known as the golden shower tree and by other names, is a flowering plant in the family Fabaceae. The species is native to the Indian Subcontinent and adjacent regions of Southeast Asia

o

Wow, that's a beautiful tree! I'm thinking that a tropical tree found in FL and the Virgin Islands isn't going to make it very well here - or at all. Just another case for cactus. Sigh.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Cassia fistula

o

Sigh is right. My willingness to experiment with unusual plant material for the area is not as great as it once was due to bad results I've had.

Recent example is my trying to grow a Liquidambar (sweetgum tree) here in the ground. The poor thing is clinging to life, leaves extremely chlorotic. (I'd take a pic of it, but I'd be embarrassed.)

I'm tempted to dig it up and put it in a big pot. But I know this isn't the time of year to uproot anything.

o

I've seen photos of shower trees (Cassia fistula) in the Phoenix and Tucson areas, but don't have any experience growing them myself. If I remember correctly this tree's photo was posted on this forum a few years ago.

o

That's fabulous. I'm going to give it a try. I've got lots of seeds of the yellow and pink/ white variety.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here