Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
easygoing_gw

Hoya

Easygoing
18 years ago

All you Hoya growers out there. I've tried growing Hoya several times with no success in getting blooms, and limited success in just keeping them alive. Can someone tell me what ths secret is? Do they need a good draining soil, a cactus like soil, instead of potting soil? Any other info you can give on care would be appreciated too. I especially would love to get a heart hoya, but with the success I have had, hate to waiste my money on one, for it only to die. Also love the variegated ones with the pink blush. Please share your secrets in care :)

Easy

Comments (14)

• Garden_trolip
    18 years ago

Hopefully Awanda will see this, where has she been?? She has a wonderful greenhouse FULL of Hoyas. I don't understand the attraction? I broke down and bought one, neglected it and it passed away :(

• Easygoing
    Original Author
    18 years ago

OMG, hope they don't need a green house. If the do well then I'm not going there ;)

Easy

• magnetogram
    18 years ago

for top performance, a gh would help. however, i know that birdlady get good blooms inside her house. at least one of mine blooms well in the house. awanda's the expert on this one though. maybe certain varieties will do better in less humid conditions.

detrick

• judy_b
    18 years ago

Everyone I've had has croaked. I think it's lack of humidity.

• Pagancat
    18 years ago

I bought one of the variegated ones with some red on it from Albertsons (I think they're pretty common). It has never bloomed, but it does well in my kitchen window with an eastern exposure. I also have one of the "Shooting Stars" or whatever it is which has never stopped blooming, in the same window. I don't mist them or anything, I torture them the same as any other plant. I also have one little sprig of a Hindu rope that I wish I could get to grow - I love those plants but it just sits there ....

• birdlady_in_mesa
    18 years ago

Oh ya, that Shooting Star Hoya is a great plant. Mine has never stopped blooming, it will have 10-12 bundles of flowers on it all the time. I want to trim it and root the trimmings, but every branch always has flowers on it, so I can't. *sigh* LOL!
    I water it weekly and it is in the eastern window. Feed it every time I water and I never mist it. Great plant.

Susie

• Easygoing
    Original Author
    18 years ago

What do you feed it Susie? I read they like a high potash fertilizer somewhere?

Easy

• birdlady_in_mesa
    18 years ago

I just use Miracle Gro and Spray-n-Grow and Superthrive. The MG I use everytime I water it (weekly) but only use it 1/2 strength. The Spray-n-Gro and Superthrive are used monthly.

HTH
    Susie

• Easygoing
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ok. I prefer Oscomote time released fertilizer over miracle grow. I use the well balanced 15-15-15 granules. They really help make my succulents, adeniums, roses, just about anything I use them on to grow nicely. I'm even using them in my brugs. Plus I like the idea of fertilizing once every 3-4 months, instead of having to do it every week, since they are time released. I dod go out and buy some Superthrive this afternoon. Dang, they sure are proud of that stuff, aren't they! $10.00 for 4 oz! I understand it's concentrate, so it should last a while. Will start using it monthly. Do you mix it as the directions call for? 1/4 tsp per gallon of water?

Easy

• birdlady_in_mesa
    18 years ago

Yes, I do it as the instructions say. Since I have to individually water the house plants weekly, adding food to their water is no trouble at all.

Susie

• Hoya_Boy_AZ
    18 years ago

Hey AZ Hoya growers. I have just got into the world of Hoyas and do not want to go broke at this. Does any one grow their plants indoors part of the year and when it cools off take them outdoors? My plants were doing great until the temp got into thfe tripple digits. Is it good to spend half the year outdoors? Help note I live in phoenix. Thanks Hoya Boy

• birdlady_in_mesa
    18 years ago

Hoya Boy- welcome to the forum. We have a hoya guru here, Awanda, she lives in Mesa. There is also a hoya forum, but it is sometimes better to chat with people in your location.

I have a huge momma carnosa outside- she has been for about 7-8 years now. She stays out year-round- in the summer, humidity is most important. I have aviaries with mist systems, so she is in a humid environment. When she gets too big, I cut stems off and they root easily in baskets and pots- so there are actually about 4 or 5 of them out there. :) She does get watered every other day and fed once a week in the summer, I cut back to once a week or so in the winter, depending on how dry they get. She is under a big mulberry tree and gets only dappled sun and bright shade, but seems exceptionally happy. In the winter, if a freeze might happen, I do cover her, but then I have to cover lots of plants (tropicals), so it is no big deal.

Susie

• szasza
    16 years ago

Hi!

I just moved to Mesa, Az. Near to 60 and 202. I just finished arranging my house so i wanna buy a few plants to start to grow. I remember when i was little my mom had a Hoya when we was living in Hungary. I remember that the hoya had a really good smell. I would like to buy 1 but i don't know where. I was asking in Home Depot and in a few gardens but nobody knows where. Can somebody tell me where can i buy them, and which Hoyas smells? Is now a good time to buy them or i should just wait a few months??

• Houndhome
    9 years ago

I wanted to bump this topic and see if there is anyone in Phx that is currently growing Hoyas. I am just starting out with them and have about 7 as of right now. Just wanted to get some good advice for our weather here. Mine are currently outside in full shade and doing very well.