Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cancerchild86

Will a Dwarf Peach Tree survive?

cancerchild86
14 years ago

I want to order and plant a Dwarf Peach Tree on my patio. Is it too hot for one to survive here? I've been reading that they need 700 hours of chilling. Will just bringing it in the house work? (planting in a container!) How much sun do they need? My whole family loves peaches and this would be far more cost effective than buying them, plus I'd know what kind of fertilizers, insecticides, and such are used, as opposed to the grocery store.

Comments (9)

• cancerchild86
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much! What does that mean, though? About chilling. I've been looking everywhere I can think of, but nothing has explained it. How low a temp does it need for so many hours. I'm assuming that's in a year. We had peach trees in the backyard when I was little, but I'm not the one who took care of them.

• turtleman49
    14 years ago

Chill hours is the amount of time/hours that your tree has to be below a temp (45 degrees) in order to set fruit the following season, each type is different but all the ones on the link mention the hours required and will set fruits here. In the valley we can count on a average of 350 to 450 hours of chill time

• neilaz
    14 years ago

In a pot on a patio you will not want sun in the afternoon unless it is a really big pot. You should get enough peaches for a pie or two. If planted in the ground you will increase your yield. (provided the birds don't get them all)

• aztreelvr
    14 years ago

The University of Arizona has a list of recommended deciduous fruits and nuts for the low desert. According to this publication "Most areas of Maricopa County average between 300 to 400 chilling hours per year. By selecting varieties of fruit that require around 250 hours of chilling to set fruit you can be sure of a full crop almost every year."

As turtleman mentioned the Bonanza peach is one of the best dwarf for our location. The UA bulletin says "*Bonanza Miniature: Popular yellow freestone - large fruit is sweet, low in acid, with a mild, refreshing flavor. Mid-to-late May in low desert climates. Five- to six-foot tree. Chilling requirement very low, 250 hours or less. Self-fruitful." (meaning it doesn't need another tree to cross-pollinate)

Here is a link that might be useful: Deciduous Fruits and Nuts for the Low Desert

• pkpdjh
    11 years ago

I planted a Bonanza peach a couple of months ago (March) and it is thriving. It had beautiful flowers and now there are a bunch of peaches and leaves on it and they look great.

My question is do I need to shade it in the summer now that we are into the 100's?

Is yes, does anyone know of a simple shade tree kit (or easy do-it-yourself method) that they recommend? The tree is about 2.5 feet tall at most.

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

I buy beach umbrellas at Big Lots to shade small areas and containers. They're usually neon green, bright blue or yellow. I've used them in front and back yards just because, gaudy as they are, they're prettier than stakes and shade cloth.

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

Next question: Is it altogether too late to buy a dwarf peach, put it in a pot and shade it?

• AJBB
    11 years ago

I'd wait until fall.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?