Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
campv8baz

The onion harvest

campv 8b AZ
10 years ago

I only have a little more to do and will be done with the onions.
Still have some in the garage but I am starting to get burned out.
I have dried them, chopped them and frozen them. My hands smell like onions.
FYI- If you need a cool dark place to store veggies w/out contamination, this thick plastic tub w/lid works great in the bottom of the frig.

Comments (8)

• grant_in_arizona
    10 years ago

Wow, they look GREAT! You have a great harvest there! What varieties did you grow again? I'm super envious of the harvest, and how you're preserving/keeping them. You're good! I love me some onions, hah! Thanks for sharing the fun harvest! Keep the garden updates coming!

Take care,
    Grant (with onion envy!)

• campv 8b AZ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the very nice complement. Walla Walla sweets and large red ones(no name).I ended up with over 100.

• sundrop07
    10 years ago

Very nice harvest, I love growing onions. I grew the Texas 1015 and Red Burgundy this year and they did great in spite of what I thought was a late planting. Do you dry or freeze all of them or keep some for fresh? I have a couple of boxes in my dining room hoping they'll keep for a couple more months but I check them daily and if they feel a little soft I'll just cook and freeze them. I just ordered more seed to start soon for planting in Dec. or Jan. along with leeks, love them too!

• campv 8b AZ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sundrop-Ref the photo- I chop/ freeze some/ use the dehydrator on some and then I am putting the fresh ones in the container in the bottom of the refrigerator.
    I know we got it bad as far as storage, no basement or cold storage area, and with this heat! Last year I got to keep fresh ones up until Sept using the refrig and plastic box. I never knew about either of the onions you grew. Would you give me a little info about both, might want to try them.
    Thanks

• sundrop07
    10 years ago

campv, I have one of those small cheap dehydrators and may try drying some with that but will also cook and freeze some. Do you freeze them raw? Yes, it's a challenge keeping them cool in this heat but so far they're doing okay. I buy seeds and start them for transplanting in a few months, they grow pretty slowly and I like to have good sized, 1/8 to 1/4 in diameter plants to set out. I didn't plant mine til the first week of Feb. and still got some softball sized ones, the reds are baseball sized but very good. I want to get them planted about a month earlier next year though. This is where I bought the seeds and information on the ones I grew: http://sustainableseedco.com/short-day-onions/

This post was edited by sundrop07 on Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 14:54

• sundrop07
    10 years ago

I guess I didn't add the link correctly, sorry about that. I'll try again. Check out the short day onion selections.

Here is a link that might be useful: sustainable seed co

This post was edited by sundrop07 on Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 14:58

• campv 8b AZ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Note the red ones do not dry as well in the dehydrator, mine had a very hard time and took 2 days, don't know why, only did a few bags. The walla walla's did great. I think chopping and freezing them raw is faster. I just peel/chop them put them on a cookie sheet and freeze them. When hard(1/2hr) I fill up the freezer bag and back in the freezer they go. This way it keeps the onions separate and you can just reach in the bag and get a handful, other wise they may be come one big onion in the freezer bag. I will not be able to plant onions until the end of March it can get to 12deg. here in the Verde Valley. Thanks for the link

• sundrop07
    10 years ago

you're welcome, and thanks for the freezing info.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES