Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I've got no peppers!!!

Posted by smurph43 az (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 6, 09 at 11:44

I live in the valley and I have a side box garden. This is my first year that I have had a garden and I started all my plants from seeds. Wow!! I have had some great results with tomato's, string beans, and cherry tomato's. My problem that I am having is that I have great looking bell pepper plants but no fruit. I have seen many flowers come and go and still no pepper. My garden box is on the side and gets a good amount of sun. I water them everyday and everything else is providing fruit. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I've got no peppers!!!

High temps affect the setting of fruit on regulator tomatoes, peppers and squashes. If your reg. tomatoes are not setting fruit now then hight temps is the problem.

o

I agree, it sounds like the heat. It causes a lot of tomato/pepper pollen to not be viable. Maybe your tomatoes bloomed earlier in the year and were able to set fruit? Now that the big heat is here, neither one is probably setting NEW fruit.

I keep my tomato plants going into early summer when the last of their winter/spring fruit ripens, then I rip them out for summer. Peppers, though, I do tend to keep longer since the small-fruited types (usually hot) hold up pretty well in the heat.

Let us know what you think.
Take care,
Grant

o

• Posted by bucks 9 Arizona (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 8, 09 at 10:59

Just sit tight. Once the weather cools the flowers will stay on and set fruit. Our best months for picking peppers is October and November!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here