Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone recognize this?

Posted by phxphun Phoenix Arizona Zone (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 25, 08 at 12:05

Can anyone tell me what the large tree with yellow blooms in the background is?
Tree with yellow flowers

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone recognize this?

The link is not working (for me anyway)

o

• Posted by phxphun Phoenix Arizona Zone (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 26, 08 at 15:47

I'm not sure what I did wrong with the link. It works if I click on it from a computer that has already been there once. But if I click it from a computer that has never been to it before, it doesn't work.

Anyway, I'll try a link to the page containing it (rather than the photo itself). It's the first photo on this page. If you click on the photo you will get a larger image.

Here is a link that might be useful: Large tree with yellow flowers

o

It's pretty hard to tell. Some trees with yellow flowers that grow well in our low desert are:
Yellow Oleander (Thevetia peruviana)
Mexican Bird of Paradise (Caesalpinia mexicana)
Golden Shower Tree (Cassia fistula)
Tipu (Tipuana tipu)

More choices can be found at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Landscape Plants for the Arizona Desert

o

Wed, Jul 30, 08 at 21:42

Thanks aztreelvr. Yes, it is hard to tell from that photo. It's interesting how the flowers appear to be in clumps, as opposed to spread evenly around the whole tree.

Thanks for the suggestions and the helpful link. That Cassia fistula is beautiful! I'll look into that one.

o

I forgot to include the Cascalote (Caesalpinia cacalaco) on the list. It blooms from October through February with spikes of yellow flowers. The blooms are slightly fragrant and attract hummingbirds. Some trees have thorns and a new cultivar from Mountain States Wholesale Nursery is thornless.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cascalote

o

Fri, Aug 1, 08 at 11:25

The Cascalote is very nice. I just sent an email to Mountain States requesting the name of a retail nursery that may have one. Thanks!

o

Fri, Aug 1, 08 at 14:29

aztreelvr - Unfortunately, Mountain States tells me they're sold out of the Cascalote and will not be able to supply any for quite a while. Have you seen any at any nurseries lately?

o

By the leaves and the flower groups, I would guess Tecoma stans (yellowbells) -- which, surprisingly grows really well here.

o

Fri, Aug 8, 08 at 6:38

Thanks kmvanatten. I didn't know yellowbells got that large. I'll look into them.

o

I'm just guessing but I think it's a Cassia but definitely not a Cassia Fistula which has cascading, wisteria like blossoms. (I think if you sent the pic to L.A. County Arboretum, they would give you a definite answer because I believe they have some.) If you ever find a source for a cassia fistula, (not the seeds), I would be interested. Thanks,
mkfairchild

o

Sure, could be Cassia leptophylla.. Hadn't thought of that...

o

Looks like a Lucky Nut to me, or sometimes referred to as a yellow oleander. I currently have one in my backyard that I recently planted, but its only about 4' high atm.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here