Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anigozanthos Kanga Red

Posted by reileysr Arizona (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 31, 09 at 12:25

I was wondering if anyone in the Phoenix area has experience growing Anigozanthos Kanga Red. I would like to add some of the plants to my yard but would like to know how well they do and if there are any issues that I should be aware of.

Thanks,
Steve R

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anigozanthos Kanga Red

Hi Steve and everyone,

I love kangaroom paws too. Those fuzzy blooms in great colors are irresistable. However, in my opinion, they really, really struggle in our summer heat. I've seen countless specimens fail at nurseries and elsewhere.

If you're going to give them a try (I love experimenting, even with plants that aren't exactly thrilled with our climate) I'd suggest finding a place where they get a break from summer heat. Maybe a container that can be shaded during the blast furnace months, and then given full sun for the rest of the year?

They definitely don't love our climate, but they're such great plants I can see why people try them. Let us know if you give them a try, and how they do for you. Good luck!

Take care,
Grant

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here