Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomatofreak

rain!!

tomatofreak
11 years ago

I **love** this day ... at least so far. It's raining, a nice steady rain with big fat drops. I'm soaking wet since I was out planting when it began and decided to keep on going. I'm in east central Phoenix; is it raining where you are?

Comments (27)

• Haname
    11 years ago

Just a little, off and on. I'm in northeast Phoenix. So nice that we have had some cloud cover the last few days to protect the plants from the scorching sun.

• quotetheraven
    11 years ago

Just enough drizzle to stir up the dust, but not enough to do anything for the plants. The wind however, has been tearing up everything, including some of the plants. Wish it would really, actually, rain!

• plstqd
    11 years ago

We had a beautiful rain in Tempe. It rained for almost two hours, a nice, steady, real rain instead of that heart-breaking kind that pours down buckets but is over in five minutes, so it all runs off into the gutters.

• tomatofreak
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Isn't it great to get rain like that? I wish we had many more days like this.

• quotetheraven
    11 years ago

sigh..I wish we could just have at least one..

• phxlynne
    11 years ago

We had a nice amount of rain the last two days (NW Phoenix). Even had these pop up today.

• tomatofreak
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Love the mushrooms! Do you get the tiny ones that look like Enoki?

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

I love weather. Seriously love dramatic weather. One of the things I'm not fond of here is the constant sunny skies, I like change and some seasonality.... so, love, love, love these past few days! Deer Valley got a nice soaking yesterday.

You can see my dogs running from the dark skies in the north, lol... no comments about my horrible back yard *sigh* ...

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    11 years ago

Yes! Our weather is boring. Been here all my life and I get truly excited when we have actual weather.
    That monster hailstorm a year or so ago was a real treat for me. Not my house, tho. $16,000 in repairs!

• quotetheraven
    11 years ago

I understand Ernie, we had the same hit down here, took out all the power poles on the main cross street in front of our Sub; trapped for a few days till they made a road out. They evac the ill and elderly, but we have pets, had to stay. No power of course..tore down block walls, did mucho damage..we are just now getting the last bath finished from all the water damage.

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

Ow, ow, ow! 16k - You're right, dramatic weather definitely can have its downsides. And I bet no electricity was pretty awful ... hope it wasn't too hot then!

I remember poor Grant during that hail storm, a lot of his agaves suffered a lot of scarring that he was quite upset about - rightfully so, as it doesn't heal like other plants, poor things.

Some neat clouds after the dust storm and before the deluge last night....

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    11 years ago

Deluge? No deluge here. Just the usual habooby mess.

That hail beat the liver out of my pomegranates and - well everything else, but I was saddest about the pomegranates.

Odd looking clouds.

• tomatofreak
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just in case you don't have your rain barrels set up yet, you might want to think outside the barrel, so to speak. This one is sure to start a conversation, especially if you set it up in the front yard! The photo is from a nursery site, but I don't know if it's available there. I'd love to have one made.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:410323}}

• tomatofreak
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, great, now it's in two places. It didn't post on the first try, so I put it here. Mea culpa...

• naturelover42
    11 years ago

I LOVE the rains, but hate the weeds that pop up a few days later. Right now they're all over my yards!

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

I'm kind of amazed that I don't have more weeds - just a few palo verde sprouts, nothing too spectacular.

• tomatofreak
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Anyone else getting rain tonight? I'm so happy that I didn't get the expected wind, with gusts up to 40 mph. I just did a tour of the yard this morning with my darling GGS and, sure enough, I've got some of every weed we've discussed. I'm guessing there will be more of same tomorrow. ;o) for rain; :( for weeds.

• newtoucan
    11 years ago

Yes, not only weeds, but Bermuda grass spreading. Never plant Bermuda grass. It is terrible.

• xica_da_silva
    11 years ago

I'm loving all the rain- yes, many many weeds but I think the cooler temps and the washing away of salt in the soil is going to help my 4 baby trees survive their first Summer! I only wish I had planted more trees- they've had it pretty easy so far. I wonder if this has been one of the wettest summers we've ever had? Or does it just seem that way in contrast to last year, which was mostly miserable, dusty, non-soon?! lol

But yes, the weeds are going crazy right now. Today is my day to get out there and try to pull 'em out...knowing darn well that next weekend there will be more. Oh well- builds character??? :)

• tomatofreak
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They can grow all they want, but till this sauna weather cools down and dries out, I'm not workin' out there! It was a nice rain here and didn't beat the plants to pieces. ;o) I had to turn the auto-water system off; moss is growing.

• amijo
    11 years ago

hey pagancat, think you have a german shepherd, a terrier
    and a springer spaniel. they all look like good guys..
    amijo

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

Close! A German Shep/Lab mix (Molly) a German wirehaired pointer/? (Fergus) and we *think* Dottie, the black and white one, is a Border Collie cross - although her face is classic BC, she's going to be much bigger and her coat is a lot fluffier. Hard to say, she was a stray. But thanks for looking!

It's Joann, isn't it?

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

I think you brought me some dirt for my raised beds, about 8 years ago?

• tomatofreak
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's raining,
    It's pouring,
    The dogs are all snoring!

It rained a bit last night and I thought that might be all, but it started in earnest this morning and has been coming down steadily for over 2 hours. We missed our last irrigation run and I guess it's a good thing now. Everything is soaked. What's happening at your house?

I got this pic of Angel Face before the deluge. Most of the other roses have given up, but this one just keeps blooming, although they're about half-size of normal. They are all loving the rain, I'm sure.

• quotetheraven
    11 years ago

Wind and brown sky when I went to bed last night, but the ground is damp and the pool is up about 1 inch..so finally, we got some!! Hope the temps stay under 3 digits so we can plant here. A bit hotter down here. What's everyone putting in this season?

• tomatofreak
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is the most rain I can remember getting in years and years. I have the biggest crop of mosquitoes in memory, too! It started here shortly before 11 o'clock and was still raining gently about 7 a.m. I've given up on weeds - OK, I haven't bothered to weed since the temps hit triple digits. ;-0 The high today is supposed to only get to 88. WOO-HOO!!! I think I'll plant something. How about you?

• quotetheraven
    11 years ago

Started down here around 8pm last night, big crashing thunder, lighting flashing. Only desert dwellers can get so overjoyed at rain! lol..Only 73 here this morning. Turned off AC opened doors and windows, all this fresh wonderful, real, air cruising thru the house. Hope it rains all day!! Everyone have a lovely day.

Sponsored
ABC Glass and Mirror
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars46 Reviews
Northern Virginia Leading Shower Glass and Mirror Designer