Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wild edible plants

Posted by naturelover42 AZ9b Tucson (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 27, 12 at 13:13

While researching the weeds in my Tucson garden, I happened upon this website below.

I think it is sad that our ancestors knew more about wild edible plants than we do and made good use of them. I've known for a long time that Dandelion leaves make great salads, but I never knew about these other "weeds" that I usually pull and throw into the compost.

I'm going to study this website and try to make good use of those pesky weeds if I can. I thought I would share with others.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wild edible plants and recipes

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wild edible plants

Great site; I'll be looking for some more edibles in the yard. Anything salad that I don't have to buy is a winner for me. That goes for greens, too.

o

Not really a weed but...are prickly pear cactus native to Arizona? Assuming they are, that's quite a nice edible.

I think some nice teas may also be possible. I believe I once had a tea called 'greenthread tea' that is commonly used by Navajo and Hopi tribes?

o

Yes, prickly pear is edible and so are its fruits. Below is a link to an article about all its wonders.

I never ate it. Sometimes I imagine being lost in the wilderness dying of starvation and walking by (or stepping on) wild plants that could save my life and knowing nothing about them. Sad,eh?

Here is a link that might be useful: Prickly pear cactus

o

Some varieties of prickly pear - at some stages in their development - are marginally edible.

But if you don't get the right variety at the right stage you may as well be chewing green, bitter cardboard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here