Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Harrisia blooms (pics)

Posted by grant_in_arizona USDA Z9 Scottsdale, (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 30, 09 at 13:14

Hi everyone,

I've had this Harrisia cactus for a few years now (from the Arizona Cactus Center down in Chandler, AZ) and it reliably flowers off and on all summer. It's in bloom this week so I thought I'd share a couple of pics.

Whole plant (with agave etc in front)

Closer view of a flower with a bee doing her thing.

Flower with my hand in the pic on purpose to show relative size.

It's nestled in the south east corner of my garden, so it gets a fair bit of western sun in summer, though a nearby lemon tree shades it from the afternoon's most brutal rays. I water it deeply once a week when the temperature is reliably above 100F, and then maybe, just maybe, once a month the rest of the year. I do not cover it in winter. The flowers open as the sun sets and stay open until the direct rays of the morning sun hit them. They're nicely scented too.

If you're growing this plant too, let us hear about it, or about anything blooming in your garden these days.

Happy gardening,
Grant

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Harrisia blooms (pics)

ooooooooo very pretty
Grant
I learned something with all this pic trouble
the last two pics on your post only showed up as sm boxes with a "X" in it
and no matter how often I double clicked on the x nothing happened until I right clicked it ,,,did the prop/copy thingy,,and put it in the search window and YIPPPPEEEE
It worked the photos are beautiful.
learned something today...its a good day
Cheryl

o
RE: Harrisia blooms (pics)

Hiya Cheryl and all,

Thanks for commenting on the pics--it's nice to hear that someone is taking a look and enjoying them.

The second two pics appear as red X's for me now too. Hmmm...I wonder what went wrong? Congrats on your new discovery on the links and pics. We're looking forward to seeing your pics embedded or as links soon. I say the more pics the better. :)

Speaking of which, I'm going to retry one of my pics, the close up of the Harrisia bloom with a bee doing her thing.

Take care and thanks again,
Grant

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here