Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_arizona

Top ten pics from San Antonio's botanical garden

grant_in_arizona
10 years ago

Hi everyone, I spent the long holiday weekend in San Antonio, Texas just for fun (no idea why I picked it, but I'm glad I did, I just wanted a short flight to a place I've never been).

ANYWAY, I thought gardeners here might enjoy seeing just the top ten pics I took of their botanical garden (a must see for gardeners visiting that city). I must admit, I had some serious climate envy at the garden, and all over the city (I stayed downtown). The humidity and just slight cooler nights seems to really allow them to grow a lot of plants that really struggle here in Phoenix.

There was a lot of plant overlap (Mexican fan palms, red birds of paradise, coral fountain, oleanders, lantanas, hibiscus, agaves, aloes, and some cacti (less than I expected)), but there was also a lot that seemed to grow well there that struggle here.

Nothing fancy, just ten pics, but I thought you might enjoy.
The link is posted below, just click on it.

And just for fun, below are a few other random pics from around the city (click the link for the pics of the botanical garden). Definitely a fun place to visit, and an easy less-than-two-hour flight.

Happy gardening,
Grant

One of many stairways from street level down to the charming Riverwalk area downtown.

{{gwi:410763}}

Riverwalk theater. Love the look and the plants. Neat concerts each weekend night. Grandstand seating, built into slope, on opposite side.

{{gwi:410764}}

One of MANY great mansions in the King William historic district, and easy 30 minute walk south of downtown (walk along the parklike San Antonio river the whole way)

{{gwi:410765}}

San Jose Mission, already over 500 years old.

{{gwi:410766}}

One of the MANY restaurants lining the bustling and charming Riverwalk section downtown

{{gwi:410767}}

The non-touristy part of the Riverwalk, just south of downtown, walking down to the King William historic district. No restaurants or tour boats on this section, but beautifully planted and very park-like.

{{gwi:410768}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Top ten pics I took from San Antonio's botanical garden

Comments (8)

• violetwest
    10 years ago

lovely pics; hope you had your fill of the humidity!

• richsd
    10 years ago

Grant, those pictures are great. Thanks for sharing.
    I've never been to San Antonio, only briefly in Dallas and Houston to visit family.

One thing I remember about Houston from my trip years ago was the palm trees were all brown due to their recent cold weather (winter visit.) I found that interesting.

While Texas may have more hospitable growing conditions than Arizona does, they don't have mountains (except west Texas of course.)

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments, Violet and Rich, it was a fun random trip. I just picked it at random: some place I've never been, not cold, and 2 hours or less away by air. It really was fun, and I did have serious climate envy. The botanical garden has the second highest spot in Texas, a whopping 46 stair steps up, LOL, so no mountains anywhere near, hah! Here's the view from it. Thanks again and happy gardening all! I hope other road-trippers post botanical updates of where they visit too. All the best!

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, and here's the Alamo too. It's right in the middle of downtown and was a former mission, which I did not know (they say that's why it was hard to defend as it wasn't originally a military building). Anyway, just thought I'd share it. Happy gardening!

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Anyone know what this one is? I thought it was some sort of red flowered Ruellia? I picked up a fallen seed pod and just planted them, so I'm hoping to find out for myself, LOL. If you have a suggestion, don't be shy. Happy gardening!

• richsd
    10 years ago

Maybe it's in the Mallow family, a hibiscus relative?

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's what I was wondering too, Rich, I wish I had taken more (and better ) pics of it. I think it's some sort of mallow relative or ruellia relative. Of course, I'm just guessing. I sure hope they sprout and thrive. We'll see! I'll do some more dedicated Googling since it's too rainy today to get much done outside. Thanks!

• tomatofreak
    10 years ago

Grant, I resisted looking at your pics because 1) I can't get away to anywhere for a much needed vacation and 2) I loved San Antonio on the couple of trips I took there long ago and it's a nostalgic memory. I was there on a mission and didn't get far beyond the riverwalk, but it is an enchanting place. Thanks for the vicarious get-away!

Sponsored
Rosete Hardscapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Richmond, VA Professional Design-Build Firm Specializing in Hardscape