Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue Agave plant pairings?

Posted by piranhafem (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 13:56

Hello! I am in a new house, and making plans for gardening in the fall. There is a lone blue agave by the front porch that needs a little garden built around it. I am looking for suggestions for things to plant around it that have similar watering needs. What do you all suggest? It's a pretty small area and I'd like to keep the agave as the focal point, so I need small, low-growing things. Verbena, maybe? Blackfoot daisy? Or do those need too much water? It is on the west side of my house but far enough out that it gets almost full sun, with just a little shade in the morning. I'd like to avoid the spinier cacti, although I'm open to euphorbias, other agaves, etc.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue Agave plant pairings?

If you are in the low desert the west side of a house with reflected heat is a brutal area to grow anything. A couple of suggestions from the Arizona Municipal Water Users Association's Landscape Plants for the Arizona Desert publication (free) are Desert marigold (Baileya multiradiata) and Candelilla (Euphorbia antisyphilitica).

o

Fun discussion! I love JonC's suggestions a lot. You could also get away with some of the super low growing Daleas too. I have some Agave americana plants surrounded by sandpaper verbena and they're all on the same watering schedule ("schedule" sounds fancy, it's me slopping water on them every ten days or when I remember) and they've all done great. The only downside to the verbena is that it needs hacking back now and then, and can get some frost damage, and the leaves ARE annoyingly rough when they're dry. Portulacaria would like the same conditions too, although it get get zorched by a hard freeze.

I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions too. Let us know what you pick and how it works out. If nothing else, some low-growing Echinopsis cacti would work too.

Fun decision, keep us posted! Happy gardening!
Grant

o

Jon, desert marigold and candelilla sound wonderful. I'm in Tucson, so I'm not as low desert as Phx or Yuma, but yes this spot with the agave is a bit brutal.

Portulacaria is an intriguing idea. It's a small area close to the front door and would be easy to throw a blanket over on nights when hard freezes are expected. I'll have to look into that. And as much as I'd like to avoid lots of spines, I might have to tuck a couple of torch cacti in there, love the flowers.

Thanks guys!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here