Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help identifying plant, picture attached

Posted by RDuke Arizona (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 14:02

This started growing outside of a potted plant..nowhere near the same genus.

Can anyone help me? I doubt very much is is native to Arizona.

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help identifying plant, picture attached

Name that plant forum is pretty active, you could try there too.

-Ming

o

Could be Periwinkle (Catharanthus roseus)? They reseed pretty easily and could have been brought in by bird, etc.

o

Definitely could be a vinca, but very much reminds me of the many, MANY oleander seedlings that pop in my yard too (Nerium oleander). I'll see if I missed any this week to post, hah, but I usually rip most of them out.

I'm sure if you give it time you'll know. Please post an ID when you decide on one, or if it blooms too. We love plant mysteries!

Happy gardening,
Grant

o

I am getting these little seedlings. Green leaves, red stem. I am letting them grow to see what they are, but they haven't gone any further than 6 inches so far.
Wish someone knew what they are.

I let a lot of things which sprout grow, sometimes something good comes of it. But I haven't ever seen one of these before this year.

o

I'm still voting for oleander, LOL, but I'm not 100% so it's a fun mystery. Vinca is still another great candidate.

Can you post an updated pic of your original photo? We'd love to see. Do keep us posted--this is fun!

Happy gardening,
Grant

o
Oleander seedling pic for comparison

Okay, I found an oleander seedling for comparison. It doesn't have the red/pink stem, which probably means it will flower white or very light pink if I let it grow.

Keep us posted!
Happy gardening!
Grant

o

I vote for oleander too. My oleander drop seeds around the yard and I have these babies popping up here and there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here