Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laura81_gw

Bat Guano Quandary

Laura81
10 years ago

Ok, here's the deal...some bats have decided to use part of my entryway as a toilet. I sweep up about 1/4 cup minimum a day. Can I put that directly on a plant(in the soil) or is too much?

Comments (23)

• grant_in_arizona
    10 years ago

You know, I'd be scared to use it fresh out of concern that it's too "hot", as in too much ammonia nitrate etc and would burn the plants (like fresh horse/cow manure can do before it's aged). Most of the guano sold commercially is from aged, dried sources. The only manure I've used absolutely fresh without trouble is bunny droppings, and that's because they double-process their droppings. Let us know if you give it a try and how it works out. I'm very, VERY envious of the bats, by the way! Happy gardening!

• Laura81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have to give it a try. I have too curious of a nature not to. I hope my plants will survive my experiments. thanks for the reply.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

have no first hand experience, but found this:

"A bat guano tea can be used as a foliar spray or poured over the plants' roots. Wrap 1/2 cup of guano in cheesecloth and steep in a gallon of water for at least three days, then use the water to fertilize your plants."

sounds messy/disgusting, but you might consider going that route instead of applying the fresh poop directly

• grant_in_arizona
    10 years ago

Fun! Keep us posted on how it works out! Me so jealous! Happy gardening!

• Laura81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Violet, the tea sounds intriguing but the bat guano I have here is very crumbly and dry. It breaks into dust the minute anything touches it. I don't know if a cheesecloth would contain the dust or it would just fall through into the water. Mmmm.....

• violetwest
    10 years ago

well, I don't know - dry and crumbly sounds like it might be okay to put directly on there. but the "breaks into dust" has me hoping you're wearing a dust mask! Wouldn't want to breathe it in!

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    10 years ago

^ Yeah, better not breathe it in. I've never understood where the expression "bats**t crazy" comes from, but let's not find out the hard way. ;-)

• Laura81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I haven't been wearing a mask. I never gave it a thought. I guess we might find out about bat**** crazy!

• violetwest
    10 years ago

lol!

• tamtrible
    10 years ago

My WAG would be... be careful about the dose. If you do, the plants should be OK, especially since it's dry and crumbly.

10 years ago

My bats have just now returned. They raise a brood every year in a recessed lamp opening in a 15' overhang right by the front door. I don't get buckets-full of guano like Laura81, just enough to sweep every couple days, so we don't track it in the house. Once the babies reach a certain size, certain members of the colony may roost right next to my door in plain sight as things get too crowded.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

anybody put up a bat house?

• Laura81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I haven't put a house up. Might be a good weekend project.

10 years ago

Peekaboo!

• Laura81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Germanstar, I love this pic. Did you get it in the daytime or at night? I was wondering how they held on to the house. Do you need more bats?

10 years ago

Took it a few minutes before I posted this afternoon. The little cubby-hole in which the bats are raising a brood has gotten too crowded, and this guy couldn't squeeze in. He was about 5' off the ground right next to my front door.

• grant_in_arizona
    10 years ago

I have TOTAL Bat Envy you guys! Adorable pic of such a cute little furry dude, total gardener's friend. I'd be so thrilled to have some around my house (although not IN it of course, lol). Great pic, GS. Can we see their little cubby hole that they use? I'm just so envious I could spit, LOL.

Laura, have you used your bat guano as fertilizer? How has it worked out so far?

Happy gardening all,
    Grant

• Laura81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have used the bat guano on some plants. My big oleander seemed to love it as well as the smaller ones. My roses seemed indifferent. My desert willow also indifferent. Yellow bell did not like it at all. My jasmine was not a fan of it either. The worst faring of all was a small palo verde tree. It turned a bit yellow.

• vermontlove
    9 years ago

I recently moved to a converted dairy barn. In the attic right above my room is a truly massive pile of guano. I used a mask while collecting it. The garden row where i added guano is a noticeable 100% taller and more lush (toms and eggplant) than any other section. Like black gold!
    I did put too much in a small pot of beebalm I did up for attracting hummers to my deck.... the beebalm suffered greatly. will have to watch this issue next time I do a pot.
    Here is a pic of a bat I rescued off the floor. Have had about a dozen bats just drop from the ceiling (including wee pink babies!) and plop to the floor. This one landed on the deck outside and was very cold when I picked him up about five in the morning. may have been huddled there all night in the cool night air. I warmed a towel and put him against my chest. he loved it! when he began to move around and show signs of recovery, I put him back up in the attic.

• Laura81
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Are you using it pure or mixing it with something? Awesome bat picture. How much are you using per plant?

• Fascist_Nation
    9 years ago

Good lord, please don't applaud someone handling a (fallen) bat bare handed, nor emulate them. I can think of no more horrible way to die than by rabies, a disease for which there is no treatment once symptoms begin and it is then 100% fatal.

Even Ebola gives you at least a 10% chance to survive. And mercifully seems to put those infected into a brain numbing condition as reported by those who have recovered not really remembering their illness. Not so with rabies, as during their lucid moments victims can quite clearly relate the excruciating pain they are in.

While I would wait until nesting season ends, those bats should be removed and the place bat-proofed for any place that is human inhabited.

Bat houses are great...but often the bats don't think so.

Here is a link that might be useful: bat houses

• Juttah
    9 years ago

That is a cute little bat.

I was once exploring an abandoned barn somewhere in California and kept hearing "psssssssp psssssssp pssssssssp" and couldn't figure out what it was. Then I found it -- a tiny baby bat on the ground, crying! I really wanted to pick it up and take it to a rescue place, but there was a big hantavirus scare at the time and I was afraid to. I still think of that poor little guy.

If it ever happens again, what would be the appropriate procedure to follow -- call Animal Rescue and have them come out?

PS I'd love to put up a bat house but hubby worked in mining and has gone into one too many caves which reeked of guano. He hates that smell!

• Fascist_Nation
    9 years ago

Mama should come and fetch baby in response to its calls...otherwise let it die. As for hantavirus, as far as I know they are rodent borne not bat borne (but I have not kept up).

As to procedure, County Animal control can be called 24/365. What they do is dependent upon the situation: A bite and they should come quick (in fact securing "the bat" is paramount if the victim wishes to avoid rabies treatment assuming it tests negative; so the victim should consider securing it without touching it).

An "exposure" will depend and will usually result in a consult from the appropriate government Epidemiology or Veterinary officer to determine if the bat is to be collected (if possible) and tested, and if rabies vaccine and immunoglobulin are to be released.

A colony or a lone bat hanging on the wall or overhead should not be a concern to Animal Control, unless the latter is still there the next day (bats occasionally don't make it back to the roost before sunup so they sleep over in the day under a sheltered spot like a roof overhang or in a crack, are harmless and should be left alone).

A colony in a human structure should be evaluated for removal based upon damage (from accumulating bat guano). The best way of removing them is to seal all but their main entrance and design a pass through where they leave for the evening meal and then cannot get back inside. Bats must feed every night (unless hibernating) so they will all leave the roost. They will find somewhere else to live. There almost is never is a reason to destroy a colony, especially with their own colony collapse disorder caused by a fungus. They are great to have around but like honeybees in a wall can be destructive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bats in the attic

This post was edited by Fascist_Nation on Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 20:12