Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bat Guano Quandary

Posted by Laura81 85268 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 14:12

Ok, here's the deal...some bats have decided to use part of my entryway as a toilet. I sweep up about 1/4 cup minimum a day. Can I put that directly on a plant(in the soil) or is too much?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bat Guano Quandary

You know, I'd be scared to use it fresh out of concern that it's too "hot", as in too much ammonia nitrate etc and would burn the plants (like fresh horse/cow manure can do before it's aged). Most of the guano sold commercially is from aged, dried sources. The only manure I've used absolutely fresh without trouble is bunny droppings, and that's because they double-process their droppings. Let us know if you give it a try and how it works out. I'm very, VERY envious of the bats, by the way! Happy gardening!

o

I have to give it a try. I have too curious of a nature not to. I hope my plants will survive my experiments. thanks for the reply.

o

have no first hand experience, but found this:

"A bat guano tea can be used as a foliar spray or poured over the plants' roots. Wrap 1/2 cup of guano in cheesecloth and steep in a gallon of water for at least three days, then use the water to fertilize your plants."

sounds messy/disgusting, but you might consider going that route instead of applying the fresh poop directly

o

Fun! Keep us posted on how it works out! Me so jealous! Happy gardening!

o

Violet, the tea sounds intriguing but the bat guano I have here is very crumbly and dry. It breaks into dust the minute anything touches it. I don't know if a cheesecloth would contain the dust or it would just fall through into the water. Mmmm.....

o

well, I don't know - dry and crumbly sounds like it might be okay to put directly on there. but the "breaks into dust" has me hoping you're wearing a dust mask! Wouldn't want to breathe it in!

o

^ Yeah, better not breathe it in. I've never understood where the expression "bats**t crazy" comes from, but let's not find out the hard way. ;-)

o

I haven't been wearing a mask. I never gave it a thought. I guess we might find out about bat**** crazy!

o

lol!

o

My WAG would be... be careful about the dose. If you do, the plants should be OK, especially since it's dry and crumbly.

o

My bats have just now returned. They raise a brood every year in a recessed lamp opening in a 15' overhang right by the front door. I don't get buckets-full of guano like Laura81, just enough to sweep every couple days, so we don't track it in the house. Once the babies reach a certain size, certain members of the colony may roost right next to my door in plain sight as things get too crowded.

o

anybody put up a bat house?

o

I haven't put a house up. Might be a good weekend project.

o

Peekaboo!

o

Germanstar, I love this pic. Did you get it in the daytime or at night? I was wondering how they held on to the house. Do you need more bats?

o

Took it a few minutes before I posted this afternoon. The little cubby-hole in which the bats are raising a brood has gotten too crowded, and this guy couldn't squeeze in. He was about 5' off the ground right next to my front door.

o

I have TOTAL Bat Envy you guys! Adorable pic of such a cute little furry dude, total gardener's friend. I'd be so thrilled to have some around my house (although not IN it of course, lol). Great pic, GS. Can we see their little cubby hole that they use? I'm just so envious I could spit, LOL.

Laura, have you used your bat guano as fertilizer? How has it worked out so far?

Happy gardening all,
Grant

o

I have used the bat guano on some plants. My big oleander seemed to love it as well as the smaller ones. My roses seemed indifferent. My desert willow also indifferent. Yellow bell did not like it at all. My jasmine was not a fan of it either. The worst faring of all was a small palo verde tree. It turned a bit yellow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here