Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf Meyer Lemon with chlorosis

Posted by ernie85017 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 14:47

This poor tree has been a wonderful producer. A couple of years ago I noted some chlorosis so gave it ironite. No change.

Life complications arose and it was ignored other than water for quite a while.
This spring the fruit set was much less than usual. I learned that our alkaline soil can block iron absorption.

Since Spring, in addition to organic fruit tree fertilizer per schedule, I have used Epsoma Soil Acidifier and Ironite, twice. No change. I found a liquid acidifier and chelated iron supplement and have used that per instructions.n Twice. There is still no change. There is new growth, and the lemons are growing, but the new growth looks the same as the old. A dwarf valencia orange 10 feet away is coming around beautifully and has great dark green new growth.

The "cures" were deeply watered in, and the tree has been on a deep watering schedule appropriate for Phoenix. Am I expecting too much, too quickly? It's been months! Am I missing something?

THank you all, I learn so much from Gardenweb.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf Meyer Lemon with chlorosis

Hi ernie85017,

Yellowing of leaves or chlorosis can be caused by a number of things. Watering is always on the top of the list so in order to rule it out you'll want to start there. This time of year citrus need watered about once every two weeks as long as the water is soaking down deeply into the soil. The ideal depth is 3 feet, which creates a moisture zone that takes a while to dry out and enables you to water less often. It also encourages deep roots and the water carries salts down below the root zone. Salt accumulation can be lethal to plants.

The easiest way to water deeply is to create a 6 inch berm around the tree at the drip line. Some folks like to add a second berm about 12 inches away from the trunk to prevent water from reaching it. Filling the basin should provide adequate water for your citrus. Here's a link to the University of Arizona bulletins on citrus (including irrigation) http://cals.arizona.edu/maricopa/garden/pubs.htm#Citrus

Nitrogen and iron are necessary to produce nice green leaves but soils that are too moist can prevent absorption of these and other nutrients. That's why its important to let the soil dry out a bit in between waterings. We're talking wrung-out-sponge dry, not bone dry.

It's also a good idea to add a 3-4 inch layer of organic mulch or compost over the soil in the basin. This will slow evaporation, keep soils cool in summer, release nutrients as it decomposes and helps to lower the pH.

Lack of nitrogen usually causes yellowing of older leaves while lack of iron is seen in the new growth. To be beneficial to the plant, iron must be in an absorbable form. Ironite doesn't provide this but your chelated iron will.

Here's information on nutrient deficiencies in citrus. I hope it helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Common citrus nutrient deficiencies and herbicide symptoms

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here