Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bright blue bugs

Posted by ernie85017 9 phx (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 15:18

DOes anyone know what the bright blue metallic flying bugs are? I never saw them before this year.

Not the flying beetle things that are blue/green. Can't remember the name of those. These have narrower bodies and cute curly antennae. 1 1/4 inches long. Long legs. There is one sitting on a tissue next to me on the desk.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bright blue bugs

I'm also curious. I saw one the other day, never seen one before... looked amazing. did it look like this?

Here is a link that might be useful: Steel Blue Cricket Hunter

o

It could also have been a Blue mud dauber. I don't know which one I saw because they look similar, might have been the mud dauber because it's a little darker. It was definitely a wasp type of insect, and it was quite big.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Mud Dauber

o

Wow, those are beautiful creatures! I haven't seen one like that, but now, I'll be looking.

o

by the way, if you see a blue mud dauber, be on the lookout for black widow spiders, because that's their favorite food, and their presence is indicative of black widow infestations. Come to think of it, my BIL just told me he killed several black widows, and the other day we saw this thing close to his house.

o

Well, now, that's another good reason not to kill everything that moves!

o

That looks like him...her... The ones I have seen have distinct curls at the end of their antennae, but the body is the same.
I always have black widows, they like potted plants, anything that doesn't move daily. I HATE THEM. Bring on the blue widow killers!

o

The blue bugs in my yard are the Cricket Hunters. How do I know? Last year we watched one drag a large cricket from out backyard, up and over the brick wall. Wonderous!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here