Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pitcher plants - Sarracenia indoors?

Posted by mangledmind AZ 9B (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 2, 10 at 16:13

Anyone have any advice they wanna offer up for keeping pitcher plants alive indoors? Besides keep the windows and doors open to attract flies lol :)

Possibly cricket feeding or something similar?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pitcher plants - Sarracenia indoors?

You can feed them houseflies, small crickets and the like.

They probably do best in a controlled moist environment and not exposed to the dry air.

o
RE: Pitcher plants - Sarracenia indoors?

Pitcher plants do not need to be fed bugs to thrive.. I own 4 Sarracenia's, about 10+ Nepenthes and a handful of sundew plants. I only feed them bugs when i find one in my house wandering around, like a spider or cricket..

Put them on the windowsill with the most sunlight, water with RO or Distilled water ONLY! Tap water will kill them.

Sarr's do like it moist, but you don't need to constantly keep them in standing water, the sundews I have are constantly in standing water but sarrs grow good if you thoroughly soak them once a week or so..

I have all of my carnivorous plants pots inside Tupperware type bowls so that when i do water every week the excess can get absorbed back into the soil.. but I never overwater too much to prevent them from getting root rot..(the sundews are a different story as they love to be sitting in constant water)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here