Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
austinaz

What are you growing?

austinaz
13 years ago

HI! I was wondering what you are growing!

I am:

Outside: Green Bell Pepper, oregano, and basil for now.

Inside: Marigolds, cilantro, african daisys.

Whats to come: Cherry Tomatoes, Parsley, mint, spearmint, and lettuce.

Comments (11)

• mangledmind
    13 years ago

hey austinaz,

we have summer squash, slicer cuke, pear and cherry tomatoes still producing. Recently planted melon, honeydew and cantaloupe going strong.

Plus other about a dozen different herbs, except dill, it gave up when we let it go to seed (which is drying out nicely for the next round). We still have several types of summer squash, which were late season plantings that are going strong. And thanks to grant and others we have 3 mammoth sunflower about a foot and a half tall right now :)

What to plant right now according to the Arizona Master Gardeners manual:

3 sisters: sweet corn, winter squash and pole/snap beans

Transplant tomato and pepper plants now until mid-August

Last of the season to get some Armenian cuke, sunflower, and pumpkin direct sown.

You can direct sow:
    Pinto and snap beans
    sweet corn
    cantaloupe
    muskmelon
    pumpkin
    winter squash
    sunflower

• User
    13 years ago

I'm growing tired of not being able to put anything in the ground for two more months. . . ;-)

• austinaz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@zzini

if it's a back problem you should look into a AeroGarden. They're good for people even without back problems too, lol.

• User
    13 years ago

no - it's a living-in-Phoenix-and-I-don't-dare-chance-it-until-Fall problem. . .
    ;-)

• mangledmind
    13 years ago

ah zzini don't be scared lol, ;)

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

LOL! ZZ..:)

We are a little on the warm side. ;)

I'm putting is a few drought tol. flowers this week.. and some radishes and such without too much trouble.

It just kills me to not be out there.. I know,,I'm a nut.LOL!

I only take dec. and Jan away from the garden.

Try and stay cool everyone and get out and wash cars for rain..LOL!

JoJo

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    13 years ago

I picked up some corn seeds yesterday, found Sunglow at the local feed store when getting dog and cat food.

Have yardlong noodle bean seeds and various squash seeds. Might do spaghetti again. We like it and so do my friends!

I'll soak the bean and corn seeds, maybe get them in the ground tomorrow morning - early.

Thanks for the suggestion and clarifying 3 sisters.

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

Fun thread! I've got a ton of the usual landscape plants of course (aloes, agaves, ocotillos, bougainvillia, chorisia, palms, plumerias, fairy dusters, various climbing cacti, tons of echinopsis etc, lantanas, citrus, blah blah blah). Love them all.

In terms of recently planted, I've got a ton of castor beans (Ricinus) started from seed direct sown outside about a month ago, plus 'Tigger' melon, lots of mile-a-minute vine, new zinnias from direct sown seed about a month ago, lots of basil (direct sown three weeks ago from my big ol' plant that has survived three years in the ground), nice vigorous bitter melon vines and tons of portulaca from seed I direct planted a month ago too. It's not the best time of year for a lot of seeds but I can't go cold turkey, LOL.

Indoors I've got some edible solanums, four pots full of stapelias from my landscape plants, and a few over-summering (as opposed to over-wintering)zonal "geraniums".

Keep the updates coming!
    Take care and happy gardening,
    Grant

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

Oh, I forgot cassia (Senna), lots and lots of cassia direct sown outside too. My popcorn cassia (Cassia didymobotrya) has done so well the last few years I want to add more so I grabbed an old dried seed pod from it and planted several seeds about a month ago and they've popped up and are doing great, as long as I keep moving the cloudless sulphur butterfly caterpillars off of them and on to the mother plant who has foliage to spare.

This is a fun thread, especially at this time of year.
    Take care,
    Grant

• mangledmind
    13 years ago

Grant, that ain't a garden, that's a FARM. You got a lot of plants there ... :)

Question on the castor bean, do you have any pets that mess with them?

I was thinking about getting some seeds to plant up north to rid our property of the pack rats and field mice that draw in all the rattlesnakes.

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

LOL, what can I say, I like plants, oink oink. I do need to increase the amount of edibles in my garden. I don't have any pets any more so no, I don't have any pets that mess with the castor beans. I've got 'Carmencita' which is nice with burgundy stems and leaves, though the leaves don't get as large as the green leaf types. I also planted some green leaf 'Zanzipalm' (I know, tacky name) and they've really taken off in this heat (pic embedded below and at the link below). They're only two months old but adding a nice leafy look.

{{gwi:411690}}

These are fun updates.
    Take care,
    Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: One of my 'Zanzipalm' castor beans (Ricinus)