Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xica_da_silva

Oh No! Forgot to Water While on Vacation!

xica_da_silva
11 years ago

Hi all!

I went on vacation for a week and somehow forgot to turn the drip line back on (had been playing around with it before I left)...now all the mums and celosias in my front yard have croaked! Fortunately, the vincas are still hanging tough!

My question is, is it too late to plant (from big-box store) even some heat-lovers like vincas to replace the dead stuff? I usually wouldn't bother but it's my front yard so it looks kind of weird/bad to have rows of flowers with unsymmetrical space between(from the dead mums that I pulled). I always change those flowers seasonally anyhow, but don't want to wait for the fall to fix the problem, if possible. What do you think? (ps. this is the north side of my house...but full sun right now, and not really feasible to give them shade at this location)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! (ps.since these follow a walkway path, I need something like vincas that will stay tidy/contained...nothing too sprawly).

Comments (10)

• grant_in_arizona
    11 years ago

Sorry for the irrigation issue, and the dead plants. I always worry about things like that when I'm away from the garden. Ugh. Usually I stop any adjustments/changes three days before I leave so I can keep an eye on things before heading out, but sometimes you just can't do things the way you'd like. :(

I would replace the things along the walkway now with vincas, just make sure to keep them well watered and keep an eye on them, AND make sure they were already growing in sun for awhile. For me, it would be worth the chance in a front garden. I replace some plants with vincas even at this time of year, as long as I know I'll be able to keep an eye on watering. Obviously it's not the ideal time, but for me it would be worth the gamble, and it beats a big hole in a walkway planting. Let us know what you do and how it works out.

Happy gardening!
    Grant

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

Or invest in a lot of garden art, lol! Actually might not be a bad idea, anyway.

• xica_da_silva
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Grant and pagancat! Yeah...at least the vincas are so cheap that it seems worth a try! I'll have to wait till this weekend to do it since I'm out of town but I'll definitely report my success/failure once a little time has passed! :)

As for garden art, pagancat, I like some of it, but am very indecisive when it comes to choosing that type of thing. Whereas, with plants/flowers, I instantly know what I like and don't waste time deciding! :)

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

Probably helps that the plants are a little less expensive, typically. But I know what you mean - I'm not into the cutesy stuff that so many people enjoy, wish I was.

Heck, I'm not even that decisive about plants, lol. Good for you!

• xica_da_silva
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just a quick update! Mother Nature has looked upon me with mercy, as even here in downtown PHX, we've had lots of rain and of course cooler temps this weekend! Yesterday(Saturday), I was able to get the vincas in first thing in the morning and then we had decent rain amounts in the afternoon. Yay! It's kind of hard to see the baby vincas from the photo, but you can see the older ones in the front. Unfortunately, I'm still having issues with shrubs...but I'll wait till Fall to address that! :)

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

Oh, nice - it will fill in be really great very quickly.

• grant_in_arizona
    11 years ago

Great news, Xica, thanks for sharing it. I'm glad you were able to get the new ones in, and that you got a good rain. I'm sure they'll do fine if well watered.

Your home and garden are really great! So tidy, charming, and attractive. Thanks for sharing the pic with us.

Keep us posted and happy gardening. Love the pic!
    Take care,
    Grant

• xica_da_silva
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Grant and Pagancat!

It's a work in progress but I really enjoy it! It does seem like, compared to last year, we're getting a cooler version of summer so far(funny how 105 F is now considered a cooler day in my mind!). I hope the wet monsoon weather continues throughout the summer!

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    11 years ago

What a cute little house - I agree with Grant on the tidy, charming and attractive attributes. I love the architecture in the downtown area.

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

I second that admiration!

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists