Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fleurbaby

Chinese Elm, stressing?

fleurbaby
18 years ago

Hello all-

I have a relatively new Chinese elm in my backyard, planted last year, and it has grown quite a bit this spring. However, yesterday, I noticed a lot of leaf drop when I was giving everything a bit of a hosedown after the hot week.

Is it just heat stress? I know they can take a bit of punishment, so I'm trying not to freak out.

I'm slowly deep-soaking it right now mostly because it does need it anyway, and there is nice new growth on the ends... but I don't like leaf drop.

Am I overreacting?

Thanks!

Fleur

Comments (8)

• Pagancat
    18 years ago

Yeah, as long as you have new growth, I'd just keep it on a good schedule for watering and keep an eye on it. Make sure the deep watering is over a period of several hours.

• GardenNeverFinished
    18 years ago

I have an established Elm about 7 years old and approx 20' high. EVERY YEAR around this time it sheds it's leaves. In fact they turn yellow (with some green still on the edges). I have deep watered once a week, plus the regular watering it gets from the grass (3 times week). I upped the deep water to twice a week this year. I was NOT going to let the shedding happen again this year. But ALAS! It still did. I think it just naturally does this, this time of year. I can't figure it out...but it always has come through. But right now, I look out my front window and it looks like it's snowing!

GardenNeverFinished

• outsider
    18 years ago

Deep soak the area around the edge of the branches over night once a week until the temperature is consistently below 90 degrees. This will ensure that it is getting enough water and developing strong and deep roots.

• temperasher
    18 years ago

2 ulmus parvifolia in my yard, 1 year old: same watering & sun, both growing nicely, like yours. one started getting yellow leaves scattered throughout the branches about 2 weeks ago. the other does not. the other is just starting this year's suscorch on the new leaves (and the first did not last year, nor now, yet.) overall: not to worry, keep up the good work, and isn't it a GREAT tree?

• baronep
    16 years ago

I purchased a 36" boxed Chinese Elm from Whitfills Nursery back in April. At first, some of the leaves were turning yellow and falling off but after about one month that stopped and I had green leaves and new growth. Recently the leaves started turning brown at the tips and edges including the tips of some of the new growth. Also some leaves are turing yellow as before.

My watering schedule is 6 hours once a week using (4) 2GPH drips.

I have asked Whitfalls and also Moon Valley for a watering schedule and neither can seem to provide one, they say: just make sure the water is getting down to the roots. Gee thanks.

Any help would be appreciated or if anyone knows a good Arborist that I could hire.

I live in Chandler, AZ

Thanks

• kazooie
    16 years ago

baronep, try probing the ground with a long metal rod of some sort after the watering schedule. if you can get the probe down three feet pretty easily, then you are watering deep enough. those guys at moon valley are not very helpful...i have had my experiences in the past with them as well.

• baronep
    16 years ago

Thanks Kazooie,

I was able to easily push a thick wire about 4 feet down. Last night I ran the hose slowly for about 5 hours. I also went back to Whitfills yesterday and talked to them in person. I cut the ends off a few branches and Whitfills said, not enough water. I will hand water for a few weeks and test with the wire until the tree is well.

Thanks

• terihq_aol_com
    12 years ago

We planted 10 trees in May. All but two are doing well but those two the leaves are turning brown and falling off. One of the trees got new growth so wasn't worried about it but then it did it again. As of now I have not seen any new growth. Any ideas what I can do?

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting