Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you grow Tree Aloes successfully???

Posted by porphyrostachys z8 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 26, 06 at 18:04

I was wondering if anyone here is currently growing any sort of tree Aloe in their yard other than Aloe dichotoma. Particularly if you have plants in the ground and they are older than 10 years. Species like Aloe ferox, marlothii, sabaea, speciosa, vaombe, suzannae, or any other single stemmed plants. I haven't really seen any around town and was wondering if my experience with them is common for the Phoenix area.
For a while, my aunt had 2 Aloe marlothii in the yard that got to be nearly 6 feet tall and one summer both plants' crowns rotted out. She tried putting bordeaux in the crowns in hopes new heads would form, but sadly they were lost. Now, just this summer, one of 2 tall Aloe sabaea has a rotten crown. It's really sad and I can't seem to figure out why this happens. We don't water from above and don't really water like mad either.
Would it have anything to do with the high temps together with the high humidity? I'm really confused honestly.

Any info or ideas are greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Jordan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you grow Tree Aloes successfully???

Hi jordan,
I have tried two different types of tree aloes in my yard and they are only 2.5 years old. I have a Aloe ferox and had a plicatillas that rotted from the top after about 6 months in the ground. The ferox is still doing good and is putting on new growth. I have seen a ferox on the far northeast side of Tucson that is probably 5 to 6 feet tall and is planted in the front yard along with other desert plants and is absolutely beautiful. I do not believe the ferox at this persons house is on a drip system. I had the plicatillas on drip and the ferox was pretty close to it and when the plicatellis rotted I moved the ferox to a place in the yard that does not have any drip and the only water it gets is from my hose. From many years of growing cactus and succulents in the yard I have found that for me watering by hand and not with drip on those types of plants seems to reduce the number of plants that rot. Good luck to you.
Ray

o

I usually don't have to many fatalities during the summer months, but this year I lost 3 Aloes to the heat. My Aloe comptonii was looking good one day and the next it was black. I only water the plants in the ground every 2-3 weeks so I don't think that was the problem. I have been pampering an Aloe sabaea for 2 years now. That plant lost it roots the first summer, this year when it started to look wilted, I stopped watering all together and it is now perking up. So that one I know now not to water during the summer. I have a lot of tree type Aloes, but none for more than 5 years, all of those look good. How much are you watering? The last few years, I have cut my watering back by over half. Potted plants every 7-10 days during the summer, and I am wondering if that isn't too much. I know a lady from the CACSS who only waters on the 1st and the 15th of the month. Keep me up on your Aloes. A lot of the people from the Cacti gallery are now here if you want to check them out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden forums

o

I'm looking for Aloe comptonii. I've much to trade or I can pay.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here