Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydrophobic soil

Posted by ernie85017 9 phx (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 18:08

There was a post with this title some time ago, but I can't find it with search.

My raised bed along the driveway has a top layer of the fine, grainy "soil" the roly-polies leave behind. I imagine it is their manure. Is this valuable, like worm castings? It is dark and rich looking, mostly when wet.

When I water the water wants to run across the top and it is very hard to get it to soak in. Thus, hydrophobic soil. It seems to be related to the roly-poly-poo. I have literally "billions and billions" of roly-polies under my mulch.

The previous poster was advised to use a soap to make the soil more receptive to water. Would Murphy's oil soap be ok? It's what I have on hand. I don't want to cultivate until after the yams have been harvested.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydrophobic soil

Mulch will help, as will using a soaker hose under the mulch.

Roly-polys do not leave castings behind. You are probably seeing what ants dig out.

A bit of baby shampoo or dish detergent in water (1 tsp to a 1 gallon watering can) sprinkled slowly over the area until the dirt starts to get wet (a gallon for every square yard is not too much), followed by laying down the soaker hose and adding mulch, then watering regularly will fix it.

o

I do have mulch, which is why I have so many woodlice.

The fine dark spheres which make up the layer are their poop. They often practice coprophagy to recover the copper in their poos. In order to do this, they have to poop. They also can help remove heavy metals in soil, but very slowly and over a very long time!

I am certain it is not from ants. It is not soil and I would have to have A LOT of ants to make this layer.

From what I have read, detergents are not recommended, but rather real soaps. Or a concoction involving flat beer and spit. Yeech! The spit is for the enzymes. I could purchase a product ready made, but wanted to try soap.

I'm guessing Murphy's oil soap would be ok, but wanted to see if anyone knew for certain.

o

EWWWW! I would not use Murphy's near any of my food crops.

o

You can use Dawn dishwasher soap, just don't overdo it.

o

I'm having the same problem (hydrophobic soil) in certain areas. Seems like where I've let euc leaves decompose, the situation is worse. Hence, I won't be composting euc leaves anymore.

One thing that helps is to not let the soil dry out too much. If you let it get bone-dry, it's a battle to re-wet the soil.

There are commercial ag wetting agents out there. I haven't researched using them so far.

o

I did a LOT of research and some say yes on the soap, others say no. I think i'll try it.
zackey , soap is not ewww, unless you are getting your mouth washed out with it!

o

It can be a benefit when used sparingly. At the risk of being redundant, don't overdo it. And don't use a soap that contains any kind of additives. Keep it as plain and simple as possible.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here