Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
papawheelie_gw

Fan Tex Ash Tree -- Second Opinions

papawheelie
12 years ago

Hello all. Happy Independence Day weekend!

First post. Hoping I'm doing this right. I've searched the web, this site, and visited my local nursery, but still have a couple questions. Hoping for some knowledge-sharing...

I have a small yard with a single Fan Tex Ash tree in the middle. My local nursery helped me pick it out and they planted it last October (2010). I like the tree and has matured noticeably since it was planted 9 months ago (went dormant for a couple months during Winter).

I'm deep-watering it once per week (each Saturday or Sunday) with a hose. No watering system yet. I allow the water to trickle, at about 15-20 gallons per hour, for 5-6 hours. So, I'm giving it about 100 gallons once per week.

It's Summer in the Phoenix, AZ area, so it's very hot and dry right now.

Here are my questions/concerns:

1) My nursery has told me that I do not need to fertilize the tree because it gets everything it needs out of the ground. Everyone agree?

2) My nursery (stopped by today) has suggested that I water the tree twice per week during the Summer (instead of once), and not quite as deep/long as I am doing. So water more often, with less water. Everyone agree?

3) The leaves got cut up pretty badly this Spring. See pics below of round pieces cut out of the edges of the leaves. From my research, I'm pretty sure this is the work of leaf-cutter bees, and that I should just let the bees do their thing. I understand that the tree is not really harmed by this, and that we need to be good to the bees. Does everyone agree that my leaves are being hit by leaf-cutter bees?

4) Finally, and most concerning at the moment, is that large brown crispy spots have begun appearing on leaves just in the past 5 days. Pics below. I estimate that only 5-10% of the leaves have these large brown spots, but the number seems to be increasing each day. I took a sample to my nursery this morning, and was told that it is some type of insect (I don't remember what type), and that I shouldn't worry too much about it. I noticed that some of their Fan Tex Ash trees had identical-looking brown spots.

Sorry for the long post. Hoping for some help with my questions. Thanks a lot everyone.

-Duane

My Fan Tex Ash:

{{gwi:411843}}From MiscellaneousJul2011
{{gwi:411844}}From MiscellaneousJul2011

Large brown spots on leaves:

{{gwi:411845}}From MiscellaneousJul2011
{{gwi:411846}}From MiscellaneousJul2011

Comments (13)

• newtoucan
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Well, I bought a Fan Tex Ash too about last April and the first summer, it looked like this, but this year, it looks much healthier. I don't know what I was doing wrong either last year, or right this year. I did put coffee grounds and compost around it this year. I'm watering about once a week deeply, but then not deeply about every day. The only reason I'm watering not deeply every day is that the drip system is on the same drip as some other vegetables. Ideally, I heard that's not good, but the cost of installing a separate drip is not something I have money for right now.

• Jeannie Cochell
    12 years ago

Looks like sunburn to me. If it was chevron and at the tips, it would be lack of deep watering. Figure it's hot and ash trees aren't native plants so they're going to suffer some in our arid climate. You also appear to have a block wall and a gravelscape so I'm guessing your yard stays pretty hot even after the sun goes down.

Mulching that berm with a forest by-product (not rock) will help reduce the soil cracks, weeds and heat.

I do have a Fan-Tex ash and an Arizona ash. Fan-Tex was recommended by Baker's Nursery and while it doesn't get enough water, IMO, it is an attractive tree. The Arizona ash (and Silk Oak and pine) was popular in my neighborhood when it was built in the late 70's and they drop branches during windstorms but always seem to recover.

• papawheelie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi. Thanks for the replies. Happy 4th.

moroesaz, thank you for confirming my original suspicions. I thought it looked like sun burn, or not getting enough water. I didn't want to disagree with the professionals at the nursery though. haha. I've noticed that it's not affecting as many leaves as I originally said -- definitely less than 5%. I've also noticed that these brown spots mostly appear on West-facing surfaces, which might make sense with the hottest afternoon sun.

And yes, it's a small yard with block walls, gravel, and not much else right now. It is on the North side of a 2-story house though, so it could be worse. The tree does get full sun all day though. I plan to do some patio-scaping and plant some more stuff in the next year, with my little Ash tree as the center. Hoping it will grow into a nice canopy-tree in the next couple years.

I will dress the soil surface with some mulch and I will try watering twice per week for awhile to get it through the next couple months of heat.

Thanks again, guys/gals.

• Mike Law
    7 years ago

Hi! I have 3 Fan Tex and 1 AZ Ash and am having the same problem as papawheelie on all but 1 sapling. One of the FanTex is doing an awesome job while the other three are doing poorly from sunburn and the leafcutters. The only difference I've noticed between the four is the one that is doing well seems to soak up the water better than the others. While they are all planted in heavy clay soil, only one seems to manage its water properly while the other three just bathe in slow soaking water. Do I need to dig these 3 back up and replant in more of a mulchy soil? Second...I have a beautiful new Pit Bull pup who took a liking to two of the FanTex saplings by tearing the bark off both saplings up to the first branch. Did he kill them? I wasn't sure what to do so I painted the trunks with a diluted white latex paint. Also to aztreelvr...I still have the bamboo stakes that came with the trees attached as well as two t posts to tie down. Our winds in SE Arizona are very strong. Do you think with these high winds I should remove the bamboo stakes??

• aztreelvr
    7 years ago

Try pushing (pounding) a slender probe in several places around your tree well, avoiding the rootball. This may help break up any restrictive layer that is slowing the water from soaking down through the soil profile. Yes, remove the bamboo stakes and use two, 2-inch wooden stakes to secure the trees. Here is a link to information on staking. Tree Planting Guide

• Mike Law
    7 years ago

Thank you for your reply. I already have 2 t-posts on each sapling. I removed one of the bamboo stakes from the nursery but even with the stakes in place the slightest wind will bent the tree 6 inches or more. I'm not sure if this is good for the trunk, but at the same time I think maybe it will strengthen it. So I am lost here. I will poke a plastic rod into slow soaking trees and see if that will help. Is there such a thing as too much water for the saplings?? I've been watering them two times a day by filling the tree well. Is that enough? I have found some leaves turning yellow??

• aztreelvr
    7 years ago

It's OK for the tree trunk to move a bit in the wind but 6 inches may be a little too much. Try adjusting down to 4 inches of play. The movement of the wind stimulates the tree to produce 'reaction' wood which strengthens the trunk. The key is keeping the rootball stable while allowing the top portion of the tree to move a bit.

Once your trees have been in the ground for a week or two, they only need to be watered once every 3 - 4 days. By June water once a week or so. To see how much water they need refer to page 9 of Landscape Watering by the Numbers. A tree with a 4 foot diameter canopy needs about 16 gallons of water each time you apply it.

Because you have damage to the trunk (and to prevent sunburn during summer) wrap the trunks loosely with burlap, cardboard or fabric. Trees can easily sunburn from reflected light and heat. If your puppy pulled all the bark off the tree the prognosis is dim. A tree's vascular system is just under the bark and the fastest way to kill one is to 'girdle' the trunk by cutting through the bark around the circumference.

• Mike Law
    7 years ago

Thank you...I think. Most of the bark has been stripped. I will get some cloth and wrap. Thanks for the info! I will keep an eye on them.

• Reed Saunders
    7 years ago

Aztreelvr, I have a back yard lined with fan tex and one other variety of ash. They are 3 - 4 years old and are essential to the privacy in my backyard. Do you make professional visits? I live in Gilbert... would be great if you are in the valley. I'd like to have you come tell me how to set them up for maximum growth and health. Thanks!

• billclark39
    7 years ago

I have 7 fan tex and yes they get big brown spots in late summer; I thought it was overwatering as I run a goodly amount several times a week in spring. tried many changes, but they still do this; guess it is the nature of the trees. they are fast growers once they get established and have a pleasing shape.

• aztreelvr
    7 years ago

Hi Reed and Bill. Ash trees are huge water guzzlers. A tree with an 8 foot diameter canopy will need about 40 gallons of water each time you apply. The frequency will depend on the season. In winter water once every 2 - 4 weeks and in summer apply this amount once every 7 - 10 days. Spring and fall they will need water every 7 - 12 days depending on the weather. Applying a 3 inch layer of organic mulch in the basin under the trees slows evaporation and keeps the soil insulated against extreme temps. The brown spots could be sunburn. Don't overfertilize. An application now will carry them through the year - just be sure to water it in well. Don't over prune - in fact, only prune broken, dead, damaged or crossing/rubbing branches. These trees can sunburn if too much foliage is removed so you may need to wrap the trunks loosely with burlap or cardboard during summer. Here's a link http://www.chandleraz.gov/default.aspx?pageid=763 to pruning. Here's a link to the watering guide - see page 9 for how much to water and page 18 shows how often to apply. http://www.chandleraz.gov/Content/WC_LandscapingWateringbyNumbers.pdf

• billclark39
    7 years ago

priceless info thanks