Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laura81_gw

Bird of Paradise

Laura81
10 years ago

Has anyone grown one of these? The big leaf tropical ones whose blooms look like a bird? I have had 2 of this kind for about 18 months and nothing. Any suggestions?

Comments (10)

• richsd
    10 years ago

Laura, I have one too. I'd recommend treating it like a tropical, not a desert adapted plant. So that means frequent water and feeding.

I was digging by mine recently and noticed that they have fleshy roots. Best bloom season is during the cooler months. And protect them from hard freezes during winter.

Let us know how it goes.

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    10 years ago

I would recommend against. If you provide enough shade and water, you can keep it alive and get it to grow some, but that type of tropical fare is unlikely to thrive here. They always look better at Big Box than they do in the ground IMHO, never a good sign. If you want to try some shady tropicals, you might give some Sansevierias a tumble, not the common, tall S.trifasciata (too tender), but some of the others like S. cylindrica and the dwarf S. trifasciata varieties They can actually do quite well here with a little winter protection, and as succulents, are better suited for our arid conditions.

• Laura81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the responses! I keep mine in pots and water and feed but they refuse to give me a bloom. I have a 2 year limit on plants. They have to show me something or I break off the relationship.

• DocHollywood 9b Central Tucson
    10 years ago

I have had good luck so far with the tropical Hawaiian Bird of Paradise in Tucson. I planted 6 plants over 2 years ago in a south facing planter. This picture was taken this past April. They get relief of hot summer sun by being partially shaded by a mesquite tree in front of them. In the winter they get the added benefit of more sun exposure and the warming effect of being in front of the home masonary wall (retained heat). They have survived 2 winters. This past winter being the coldest with temps dropping to about 25 degrees. They are ok usually to 28. Like to be kept moist and enjoying being root bound/crowded and they bloom best if crowded. Fertilize with general all purpose fertilizer and a little miracle liquid periodically. Tucson is our second home. Our primary home is Portland, OR and I have kept a large pot of them on the patio for years. Lots of blooms this year. I over winter them in a little portable green house. I really like them.

10 years ago

Oregon patio Bird of Paradise (Hawaiian)

• Laura81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, Dochollywood, yours look fabulous. I must be doing something wrong.

10 years ago

Laura81,,,
    Don't give up on them after just 2 years. My potted bunch are about 12 years old. Have been repotted only 3 times. They really do need at least 2-4 years to get going well. Depends on how big they were when planted. Let them multiply and get crowded. Feed them well. The 2 year in- the- ground- plants were of fair size when planted and we have had fairly consistent blooms. My potted birds bloom mostly may-june. Had at least a dozen beautiful flowers this year. And the added bonus of a long bloom life with these. This picture was taken 2 years ago before the last re-potting was done this year.

• Laura81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am so jealous of your beauties. I'll give mine a reprieve and keep trying. I do so want them to bloom.

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    10 years ago

@DocHollywood : Those do look vigorous and healthy -- well done! How often are you watering through summer?

10 years ago

GwermanStar...
    Every day. They like to be kept moist. Lots of organic matter in the soil and mulched twice a year. Probably could get by on every other day watering, but since I am not there much of the summer, I keep it safe by watering daily.