Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luckybunny_gw

What kind of Eucalyptus tree is this and how to trim/prune?

luckybunny
10 years ago

Hi! I am new here and this is my first posting. Ever since moving into our house I've wanted to know what kind of Eucalyptus tree we have. I was wondering if anybody knows what kind it is?

Also, there is a portion of the tree that is dead or partly dead and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on where to cut it off at? My husband wants to cut that whole arm off and then maybe top the other arm so it's not so lopsided. Is this a good idea?

Thank you!

Comments (8)

• luckybunny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a close up of the leaves.

• luckybunny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the side that is dead.

• tomatofreak
    10 years ago

It could be this one - or not. There are over 700 varieties of eucalyptus trees. If you're near a reputable nursery, take a piece of limb w/leaves in and see what they say.

Welcome to the forum! We've just been having a discussion about trees, including the very negative characteristics of eucs. I would definitely cut that dead limb off **but** I'd call out a good arborist for advice on 'pruning' the rest of the tree. Looks like it really needs some growth taken off. However, you'll find many people here who think your best bet is to take the whole thing down. Those trees really are too big for urban yards. I've learned that the hard way.

Here is a link that might be useful: eucalyptus radiata

• luckybunny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the welcome and advice!

It is a big tree but love it for the shade, however it is VERY messy.

• aztreelvr
    10 years ago

This is a guess, but I think this may be Eucalyptus camadulensis also called Red River Gum. It could also be Eucalyptus rudis or Eucalyptus erthrocorys. When it blooms you'll be able to narrow it down by flower color.

Your tree's leaves look chlorotic (yellowing tissue with green veins) so try using a little chelated iron. Chelated refers to the product being water soluble. It's usually available in liquid form that you dilute and apply to the soil at the drip line and not next to the trunk.

As far as the dying/dead branch - I would take it off where it intersects with the main trunk. You'll need to follow proper pruning techniques and not cut too close to the trunk or leave a stub. Wait until fall to do this - it's just too blasted hot right now and the reflected heat and light from your sea of gravel can sunburn other parts of the tree.

NEVER top a tree. I causes multiple shoots to grow where you made the cut in sort of a Medusa style that compounds the weight of the branch. Plus these adventitious shoots are weakly attached and can break easily in the wind.

After pruning your tree will eventually fill in the void left by removing the dead branch.

These trees like deep, infrequent irrigation. This time of year water once every two or three weeks to a depth of 2 - 3 feet. If you use a hose, place it on the ground at the drip line (edge of branches) and let it trickle overnight. You'll probably need to move it to another side of the tree and repeat on the next night, and perhaps even a third night. Water going through a hose slowly during the day is too hot so wait till after sunset.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pruning, Planting and Care

• luckybunny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

aztreelvr thank you very much for all the useful info!

• tomatofreak
    10 years ago

It looks a lot like the one I still have which is e. rudis. At least one half of it is. I'm curious; do you know how old it is?

• luckybunny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

tomatofreak, I am not sure how old it is. We have only been in this house for about 4 years and it was big when we moved in. It will flower yellow....does e. rudis have yellow flowers? Do you know how old your tree is and how big?