Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
annual vinca (periwinkle) disease

Posted by richsd sunset 13 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 4, 14 at 18:49

Until recently I had a nice row of multi-colored vincas next to the lawn. Nice to look out on in the middle of summer.

Then the disease hit them. Now about half are dead. After a little research, I found out some plant breeders in Texas developed a line of vincas RESISTANT to the disease. The seed line is 'Cora'. So, needless to say, I won't buy Home Depot vincas again since I have no idea what variety I'm getting.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: annual vinca (periwinkle) disease

Thanks for bringing this up. I've never heard of Cora vincas, so after a short Google search, one site says that my Lowes in Peoria has them - $7.98 for a six pack!!!!! Wow! Gotta check that out. Wouldn't you love to find them on their close out shelve? I can't image too many people paying that for a six pack.
Looks like Armstrong in Californai has them. I always stop at as many Armstrong Nurseries as I can whenever I'm in Southern CA. Wonderful places.
Also available as seeds from Park. They might be easy to start from seed since the "common" ones seem to easily self sow. I'm not a good seed grower guy tho.

o

Good information, thanks for posting it! I know a lot of folks have vinca wilt in their gardens and lost a lot of plants from it. Good tip! I tend to plant them in containers of brand new potting mix, which reduces the chance of wilt, but getting some resistant varieties would be nice. I love Park Seed. Thanks for mentioning the variety and some good sources. Happy gardening Rich and Harold and all!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cora vinca from Park Seed Co.

o

Phytophthora parasitica, which is the major pathogen causing root disease in citrus grown in Arizona, causes root and crown diseases of periwinkle. Another fungal disease of periwinkle known as Rhizoctonia causes partial or complete girdling of emerged seedlings at or near the soil surface. The lesions on lower stems are sunken and dark in color.

Here is a link that might be useful: Diseases of Urban Plants

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here