Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikerizzle9

Identify this thing PLEASE

mikerizzle9
11 years ago

What is this? I pulled out a shorter stockier version as this one was sprouting a couple months back. I built the bed it is in this Spring...

Comments (11)

• mikerizzle9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another of the head... Somebody mentioned a "lily plant", I did see some pictures of various types which somewhat resembled these foliage wise, but I certainly did not plant the bulb type.

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

I'm no help; that stuff pops up in my yard, too, and I have no idea how it gets there. 544444 ....sorry, cat typing.

• newtoucan
    11 years ago

I get this too. Have no idea what this is though. For sure a weed.

• campv 8b AZ
    11 years ago

Pull it! It is a weed and a big one! Get all the root it will be deep. You will probably get more as you water or monsoons. They are everwhere in AZ

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

"What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have never been discovered."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

So does anybody know what its virtues might be?

• azant
    11 years ago

Ugly fuzzball seed heads that blow everywhere. Can be a magnet for whitefly and spidermite. They come up all over the place in my yard from flood irrigation.

I think the only cool thing i had come from irrigation that spread pretty well on its own was false poinsettia.

• HU-17497
    11 years ago

get rid of it or you'll curse the day you let it live.

• grant_in_arizona
    11 years ago

I'm pretty sure it's "horseweed" (Conyza canadensis) a very, very common weed here in rural and urban areas. I'd remove it ASAP as like the others said (I love how helpful everyone on this forum is--it's so nice to log in), it has virtually no ornamental appeal, and those little poofy seeds will blow all over the place.

Some weeds I don't mind in moderation. This one I remove.

Happy gardening,
    Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Horseweed

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

Grant, you're a genius! That's got to be this plant - and I see them popping up all over my back yard. :(

• grant_in_arizona
    11 years ago

Hah! I don't know about genius, but I DO know this weed pops up in my garden a lot too, so I try to stay on top of it. Let's get pulling folks, especially since it's cloudy today! Take care and happy weeding all!

• naturelover42
    11 years ago

This pops up a lot in my yard, too, especially in a shady and well watered planting area on the north side of the house. I'm glad I read this thread. I was always wondering if I was pulling and killing some beautiful wildflower. I'm going to be busy tomorrow pulling up all of them. Thanks everybody!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County