Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomatofreak

Rain...

tomatofreak
10 years ago

...dance! I say, let's get Little Mike and Funny Bone over here quick. My yard is horribly dry and my plants are covered with dirt from wind blowing it all over. Has anyone gotten even a sprinkle?

Here is a link that might be useful: Do the Rain Dance!

Comments (27)

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    10 years ago

Rain or no, the monsoon is upon us, for which I am grateful. Cloud cover!

• tomatofreak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm not a fan of humidity without rain. Ugh....

10 years ago

My plants are.

• richsd
    10 years ago

I'd be willing to pay cash for a solid week of light, steady rain here in the valley (I guess that's unrealistic, isn't it?)

• tomatofreak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Me, too! Best I can do is misters. I have put the sprayer on the hose and washed down the plants. I imagine they are grateful. ;o)

• centurion_
    10 years ago

Two brief showers here in Cottonwood today. Knocked the temps down into the high 70's for minute...then right back up into the upper 90's.

It's 93 now at 7:30 pm. Gotta love it.

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    10 years ago

Lil Mike and Funny Bone.
    Are they not a trip?

• tomatofreak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought they were a hoot! Anybody get any rain last night? None here; just smothering humidity. :-(

• greendesert
    10 years ago

we got just a small amount in Peoriax the other night. I had just finished setting up my rainwater tank and installed a gutter along one edge of the roof to collect that water, so I'm ready. we got maybe something like an eighth of an inch maybe

This post was edited by greendesert on Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 16:08

• Laura81
    10 years ago

7 drops of rain today in Fountain Hills!

• tomatofreak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not one drop here - yet. Probably when it does decide to rain, it will be a gully-washer.

• v8vega
    10 years ago

Rained here on the west side Thursday morning.
    My property down south in Sunizona has received over 5" of rain this month!

• tomatofreak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I heard Camp Verde got almost 2" of rain today. Some people must be swimming!

• grant_in_arizona
    10 years ago

There was a very nice gentle rain at my work yesterday (N. Scottsdale) for about thirty minutes, but my house, only 5 miles northeast of that, didn't get a single drop, grrr, LOL. Glad lots of folks got some though, happy gardening!

• nickw252
    10 years ago

Nothing in downtown Phoenix yet.

• tomatofreak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If it weren't so d****d hot, I'd go out and do that rain dance myself! Still not a drop here. :(

• grant_in_arizona
    10 years ago

I see big rain showers around the valley from my work building, and hear reports of rain in Mesa, Peoria, etc from coworkers, but color me envious as my garden still hasn't gotten any, grumble grumble, LOL. Soon, I hope!

• grant_in_arizona
    10 years ago

FINALLY a nice, deep soaking last night (7/19), it rained for a good hour here in N. Scottsdale. I went out several times to empty and replace my 5 gallon Home Depot buckets collecting rain under the canale-style gutters (the kind that sticks out over the edge of your roofline (like when you stick out your tongue, LOL). Plus the 75 gallon rain barrel is almost full. It only collects rain from the back 25% of the roofline but I'll take what I can get! Finally! Hope others who want/need rain are getting some. Happy gardening!

• grant_in_arizona
    10 years ago

Wow, it's been POURING here this morning (7/21) for about 90 minutes. No wind, too, which is nice! My 75 gallon rain barrel is literally overflowing now. Happy happy! Take care and happy gardening all!

• richsd
    10 years ago

yeah, today's (Sunday) down pour was GREAT! I was imagining all the soil salts that were getting flushed down by the rain... and the benefits to the area wildlife.

By the way, does anyone know what those lizards are that are kind of fat and black-ish? I'm seeing several of them in my yard lately.

• tomatofreak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

All the rain that we were due over the past several days came down all at once today. I measured 2" in the dog's bowl, but the gutters overflowed and rain flooded into the house under the door in one room. Worst of all, we lost the DMPV that had recovered well from a real storm a few years ago. On the upside, we got the grass seed down just before the rain hit.

• centurion_
    10 years ago

Let's hope all that rain didn't wash your grass seed away.

(Sorry. Just couldn't resist the opportunity to be a "wet blanket.")

• tomatofreak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL, it didn't wash the seed away, but it sure as heck redistributed it. I'm going to see if I can re-rake it back where it's supposed to be.

• Laura81
    10 years ago

I have only had a paltry .25 inches. It just keeps going around us.

10 years ago

^ Enough for me to turn the drip off for a few days, so no complaints.

• greendesert
    10 years ago

We're in Peoria at 75th and Sweetwater, and the IBC tote I just set up to catch rainwater in hopes of staring an aquaponics system soon, well IT IS FULL! 200 gallons (I cut off the top and will use it inverted). The less than $50 bucks I spent on putting in a gutter on a small section of my roofline, really paid off. Now I better get some fish before the mosquitoes show up.

• loganlady
    10 years ago

We have been "hit" twice now by heavy, heavy monsoons up in Chino Valley!!! Neighbors behind us and next door got a new ravine made by Mother Nature for the excess water to run through...town brought up tractors/trucks yesterday to clean up the mess on the road and hill behind us. My flowers look horrible due to hail...I do have the last of the zinnia seeds coming up :):) I had to use the blower to get the mulch back in it's usual place (put rocks in front to keep it there)...it was in several clumps all over the gravel driveway. 3 rain barrels are full. This morning
    the sun is out and very BRIGHT!!!

Sponsored
Van Metre Homes
Average rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Home Builder | 5x Best of Houzz