Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tucson Tomato Temperature Timing

Posted by grubby_me Tucson AZ 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 19:24

Am I right in figuring that right now, mid July, is a good date for planting tomato starts indoors in the hotter parts of Arizona? As for indoors verses outdoors, I know they'll start in the garden but things will eat them if I do, so this question is about the heat break we should get in eight or nine weeks (yay!). Might I be a little late?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tucson Tomato Temperature Timing

I usually start my indoor seed sowing of tomatoes, peppers and cabbage around July 4th. I'm late this year, hopefully this weekend I'll get started. So, I think you're right on target. Six weeks to hardening off and planting out.

o

Today I did the equivalent by cutting back my tomato vines from my Spring plants. Vines laying on the ground have established roots, so now I have more "plants" to produce for the Fall harvest. If you cut back too much, you can kill the plant. If done properly, the plants will put on new growth during Monsoon season and bear a lot of fruit again when the weather cools a little. Learned this from George Brookbank's book on Vegetable Gardening in Tucson.

o

Thanks for that tip Art. I did kill three nice plants that I had started in early spring by over pruning. I found that Brookbank book at my local library so I'll check out the technique as he describes it and see if I can save the few remaining plants that are trying to hang on through summer.

Happy Gardening! Mary

o

If you're in central you can have some of my volunteers that've been popping up!

-Ming

o

Howdy folks. I'm in central Tucson and I was wondering what heritage varieties of tomatoes you guys have had success with around here? We (meaning my little boy and I) are doing our gardening in pseudo earthboxes.

o

I really like black varieties and had good luck with Japanese trifele these past couple years. I've also had decent harvest on black krim but found the trifele to be a smaller but more productive fruit with a brighter flavor. Although not heritage, I always plant sungold cherries and yellow pears. Ii haven't been to the farmer's market in a long time but Arivaipa heirlooms is an excellent local desert adapted heirloom tomato company.

-Ming

Here is a link that might be useful: aravaipa heirlooms

o

Howdy Ming,

Can we get viable seeds from fruit we purchase at a farmer's market? Has anyone tried that? Or do the fruits need to be more mature before they're harvested?

Nomad

o

You probably could, that's how my mom started a few of hers in Oregon. That particular company sells seedling varieties adapted to the desert but it looks like their page is down... Have you been to Native Seed Search? I just get all of mine from Mesquite Valley Growers. They have some plants grown from seed in their greenhouse and some trucked in from elsewhere. I may have some mystery seedlings to get rid of in a couple weeks, too.

-Ming

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here