Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikerizzle9

ID Please

mikerizzle9
10 years ago

This guy was in my rosé bed. Figured it was a tree of some sort so I dug it out and potted it... I'd like to know what it is before I baby it

Comments (17)

• tomatofreak
    10 years ago

I haven't the slightest idea, but it looks worth keeping till you/we can tell more about it. ;o)

• richsd
    10 years ago

Look around the area and see if there's any parent plant that has similar leaves. It looks attractive, so I'd be patient with it.

If I had to guess, it might be a Prunus caroliniana (Carolina Laurel.) Obviously not a desert plant, so keep it well watered.

Who else wants to guess?

• swakyaby
    10 years ago

With the serrated edges on the leaves, it almost looks like the young leaves of my more mature cherry tree. Did you spit a cherry pit in your rosebushes?

• swakyaby
    10 years ago

On closer inspection, your plant has more compact leaves than my cherry, and more glossy. Maybe a bird dropped a fruit seed in your roses.

• richsd
    10 years ago

swakyaby, cherries won't grow in the Phoenix area- it's way too warm in the winter and summer for them.

• mikerizzle9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It certainly has serrated edges. Leaves don't appear to match any previous suggestions. Here is another pic.

• Juttah
    10 years ago

Reminds me of hibiscus.

• tomatofreak
    10 years ago

Could it be this or another ruellia?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• mikerizzle9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Team... plant is growing, and both the Ruelia and Hibiscus suggestions are intriguing. The plant is definitely putting on new growth since I repotted it just a week ago. I will post another picture pretty soon, hopefully tomorrow.

• grant_in_arizona
    10 years ago

I'm so interested in this plant/discussion, thanks for the pics, and the suggestions and updates. I think all of the suggestions are good candidate ID's. Let us know what you think!

I was also wondering about possibly a passiflora/passion flower of some sort, or maybe even a Tecoma of some type? They're just guesses and it's hard to tell with youngsters. Time will tell I'm sure. I'm glad you're keeping it until we figure out what it is!

Happy gardening! And do keep the updates on this coming!

• mikerizzle9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the latest

• Laura81
    10 years ago

It looks something like a yellow bell.

• grant_in_arizona
    10 years ago

Yup, I'm feeling more confident about my Tecoma suggestion (AZ yellow bells, Orange Jubilee, and other cultivars), especially because it looks like the newer baby leaves are compound (with leaflets).

Keep us posted, this is a fun discussion!
    Happy gardening,
    Grant

• mikerizzle9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It certainly looks like a Tecoma sort, of course I don't have any, nor do immediate neighbors... Well I've always admired them, so I will keep it going. I will post pics of flowering if I can remember.

• tomatofreak
    10 years ago

And of course it could always be a mulberry! :-P

• mikerizzle9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Question about planting this guy... South side of my BLOCK house is completely bare, exposed to sun during the summer. How will this take reflected heat if I plant it there? Also, should I plant it in a couple weeks or in the spring? I typically do trees and shrubs in the fall to get a good 6 months before the heat returns, but this guy isn't even in a 1-gal pot yet.

• grant_in_arizona
    10 years ago

Well, if it IS a Tecoma it'll be a bit frost tender, especially so young, so if you keep it in a pot you can bring it in if we get any nasty freezes this winter and keep it safe, and then plant it out in early spring to let it get big enough next summer. It probably depends how much you're invested in the little thing. I'd keep it in a pot if you want to make SURE you can keep it safe over the winter.

Let us know what you do and how it works out!
    Happy gardening,
    Grant

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting