Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
richsd

Do you know your tap TDS level?

richsd
10 years ago

I checked my tap water this afternoon and was shocked how it has spiked to 705 ppm. (in the past it's been in the 500s.) I don't have a water softener so that's not the problem. I get Phoenix water.

For those who don't know what TDS means, it's basically how much salt is in the water. The lower the better of course.

So, besides the heat, the salty tap water makes growing things all more difficult.

If anyone else has a TDS meter, I'd be curious to see what readings you get from your tap water.

Comments (7)

• tomatofreak
    10 years ago

It's not just salt; it can be organic or inorganic material, including minerals such as iron (which makes for really hard water), arsenic, and a host of other constituents. A 'high' TDS reading doesn't necessarily indicate that the water is 'salty', just that more stuff got past the filters than EPA guidelines recommend.

Here is a link that might be useful: Total Disolved Solids

• richsd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, thanks. But when I say 'salty', I'm referring to not only sodium chloride (table salt), but to all the other salts that have an osmotic effect in water (sulfates, chlorides, calcium, etc.)

• newtoucan
    10 years ago

Any good inexpensive TSS meters you recommend.

• richsd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

toucan, I bought mine on Amazon for about $20. My pH meter was way more expensive, like $120.

You may have noticed that Zerowater advertises it includes a TDS meter for free. That's a quick way to get one.

A reverse osmosis system will substantially reduce the TDS of the water for a greenhouse for example, but I use way too much water outside to use a reverse osmosis outside.

• Juttah
    10 years ago

What about a calcium inhibitor filter? Would that help?

Here is a link that might be useful: Calcium Filter

• tomatofreak
    10 years ago

It certainly keeps the mister nozzles from clogging up. This comparison of filters might be helpful. In our house, we use an undercounter carbon filter and a different type in the shower.

Here is a link that might be useful: water filters

• richsd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Juttah, I opened the link you provided. The site doesn't describe in detail what the filter is doing, so I wouldn't recommend buying it.

Actually, there's not much we can do about our high salinity water here, but at least do these important steps: On a regular basis, over-water your plants to leach out the accumulated salts; and use mulches and gravel to reduce evaporation loss. Also, growing plants that can take high salinity is one easy way to deal with the problem. Example is bermuda grass- it can take a lot of salt before it shows damage. I use water from my R/O unit when I use my pump sprayer (it's also handy to wash windows...)

Arizona's salty, alkaline water is probably one my biggest peeves about living here. Arrgh!