Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plumeria Cutting Question

Posted by gemfire z9/10 AZ (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 11, 08 at 20:54

The big storm we had last night blew my plumeria over and one of the branches broke off. It's about a foot long so I'd like to root it. On most plants I've rooted I've left a couple leaves on the very top but I'm wondering if the plumeria might be different. Should I remove the leaves or leave them on? Thanks.

Gemfire

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plumeria Cutting Question

more then likely the leaves will fall off, but either way allow the wound to callus then root. All the Plumies I have in the greenhouse that I rooted lost all the leaves (about 1000 of them) but they still set new growth and roots

o

Thanks Turtleman49. They are already looking a little droopy.

Gemfire

o

Its normal, just don't rot them. Plumies seem to rot at the drop of a hat, We've had best results with allowing the wound to heal then placing them in our rooting medium and forgetting them. Once they set new roots I place them on a normal irrigation cycle

o

I would let the cutting callus about 12 days and put it into a container(clear) of pearlite. Put holes in the container. Keep the cutting in the protected shade or it will fry. You want the bottom of the container to get some good heat so even putting it on a brick would work. Don't let it get over 90 degrees on the bottom. You should also use a rooting hormone.
You will be able to see the roots through the container as the cutting roots. It will ned to be watered a few dropx 2x a week. You want a little dampnedd but not wet. Wet equals rot.

Turtleman49,
Were do you live?You have 1,000 plants or you lost 1,000 leaves?

Mickey
Mickey

o

I "Have" a thousand of them

o

Turtleman,
And were are your thousand? Are they for sale?
Mickey

o

There in the shade house for the summer and yes I sell them I think I have about 6 or 7 hundred left. I'll try to get some time to post more on my web site but sadly it's so far behind of "current" I can't stand it.. I think about 90% of what I have isn't listed on the site

Here is a link that might be useful: RSI Growers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here