Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john102_gw

Help Id weed or grass in Bermuda

john102
10 years ago

First off I would like to thank you for all the great information on this site!!! Very helpful

Recently I started growing a yard in Phoenix. The yard was left unattended for years before I began the seeding the yard. It was mainly dirt and rock.
I planted Bermuda seed. As the lawn is beginning to come in I can notice what appears to be different types of grass or crab grass, weeds etccc.
I scalped an area back down and reseeded hoping to have only one grass remain.
Can anyone please help me with identifying what that other grass type is?

The first pics are where are just seeded

{{gwi:412337}}

{{gwi:412338}}

{{gwi:412339}}

This picture is after the grass has come in. You can see different types of grass or a weed maybe

{{gwi:412340}}

Thanks again

This post was edited by john102 on Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 22:04

Comments (8)

• tomatofreak
    10 years ago

Hint, hint: Take a close-up so we can see detail. It all looks the same to me at that distance. I saw one blade that appears to be nutgrass - and if it is, resign yourself now. I only fight with nutgrass that pops up in veggie or flower beds; the rest of the yard is on its own.

• john102
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the reply. Here are some close ups.

{{gwi:412341}}

{{gwi:412342}}

{{gwi:412343}}

Now on this part of the yard it appears to be a different grass (I think).
    What type of grass is this?

{{gwi:412344}}

{{gwi:412345}}

Here is a picture with the 2 different grasses together.

{{gwi:412346}}

This post was edited by john102 on Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 11:52

• aztreelvr
    10 years ago

First three close up looks like what I call crabgrass. I grows from a central base and has multiple shoots. Bright green color. Does not send out runners that send down roots. Crabgrass is a summer annual and dies out in fall/winter.

Pics 4 & 5 look like young Bermuda. It should have a blue green color and will send out stolons on top of the soil that will produce roots from every node.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bermuda grass / crabgrass

• john102
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Crab grass does not send out runners?

Pics 4&5 looks like Bermuda then.
    I must have 2 types of Bermuda growing because of the different colors and texture. The grass in 4 & 5 is really rough feeling. other parts of my lawn the grass is finer and much softer. i was thinking maybe ST Augustine maybe.
    Thanks for your help. This yard sat unattended for a long time and I am trying to bring life to it.

• azbolt
    10 years ago

I agree, two different types of bermuda...I have 3 in my lawn mixture...

Kevin

• tomatofreak
    10 years ago

Definitely St. Augustine in 1st pic. I really can't tell if what you're featuring in subsequent photos is any different though it all looks like St. A to me. St. A does run and put down roots, but is easily pulled up in long strings. It has pretty much taken over Bermuda in my yard and I am thrilled that it has. It's spongy, easy to walk on, looks good and is low maintenance.

• john102
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay Thanks.

Like I said earlier the yard was left unattended for years.

Can St Augustine lay dormant for years then come back?

Thanks again!!!!

This post was edited by john102 on Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 20:58

• john102
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Are these pictures St Augustine Grass ?

{{gwi:412347}}

{{gwi:412348}}

{{gwi:412349}}