Found this in my garden. What is it.

http://www.cloudmesa.com/plant2.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Name this Plant

it looks like a mushroom

o

This is what is commonly called a False Shaggy Mane or Desert Shaggy Mane mushroom and they are pretty common here. The fungi decomposes organic matter below ground year-round forming the above-ground reproductive structures (mushrooms) usually in the summer. As fungi feed on organic matter, they release nutrients back into the soil. Their appearance means you have good rich soil.

They are members of a group of fungi called puffballs because a cloud of brown dust-like spores is emitted when the mature fruiting body bursts or is crushed.

These are part of the natural ecology of our region and no control is needed. If you prefer you can remove the mushroom and dispose of it before it dries and dispenses the spores.

o

Yeah, and don't kick it either... otherwise you'll have a black cloud of spores in the air and all over the ground and your feet. :) Just pluck it.

o

Funny, I just had one pop up too and was wondering what it was. I'm glad I know now. I googled it and came across this neat video.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shaggy Mane Mushroom timelapse YouTube video

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here