Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lrm1979_gw

bougainvillea help pls

lrm1979
11 years ago

Hello,

I had some new bougainvillieas planted in my backyard last October (2011). They are very young bougainvilleas, not big at all. Since then, one has been doing nicely, lots of green leaves and some blooms, and one died. I am not sure if it was due to overwatering, the soil seemed fairly wet when the landscaper replaced it (they don't seem to have a lot of advice, which is why I am here)

The new one immediately lost leaves and looked droopy, but I assumed that was the shock. I have modified watering times to twice a week, one hour at a time on drip system. Its been several weeks and it is still struggling. Most of the leaves are gone, stems are looking more brittle and less green. The other one is still doing okay. Any thoughts?

Am I still watering too much? Its so hot, I can't believe I am over-watering, so wondering if there is something else I am missing?

THanks!

Comments (5)

• Pagancat
    11 years ago

No, there are definitely plants that can be over-watered. I would question any landscaper that is planting perennials right now: some of the desert plants can survive these brutal temps, but I sure wouldn't call Bougies desert, more tropical.

I haven't ever tried to plant one at this time of the year, however, if I *did*, I would make sure it has some relief from the direct sun (that it will love once established) - throw a sheet, pillow case or something over it, if it larger, take a lawn chair and park it next to it to shade it.

Once established (as I would assume your older plant is becoming, but probably not completely until next spring) I would once again question a landscaper who was watering these plants more than every two or so weeks in the summer. You can measure by the lushness of the growth compared to the bloom - too much water, too many leaves, not many blooms. If you change your watering practices, however, don't just cut them off, slowly wean them or they can die as easily.

Hope this helps, good luck!

• azant
    11 years ago

The biggest issue with planting bogies is disturbing the roots when planting. They do not like things disturbed! :) Most landscapers here have no botanical knowledge and will do anything to make a buck. All they are good for is mowing and raking. Just the other day i saw a landscraper poodling a hesperaloe!!!! wth...

Sometimes if a plant wilts during te day doesnt mean it needs water, be sure to check soil moisture before watering, wilt could just be a response to the heat or loss of root (breakage, rot, etc...)

I have had great luck transplanting and propagating bogies in te summer, it is te preferable season in my opinion

• dirtydoug
    11 years ago

When the boug. is planted it will need water every day in the summer for at least a few weeks. Once it is established only twice a week. Try Super Thrive. It is a growth hormone not fertilizer. Vitamin B is good also.

• naturelover42
    11 years ago

Since one plant is doing fine and I assume you water them both equally, perhaps the soil is different where the struggling one is planted? Most plants like good drainage. Or perhaps the location of the other one gets more sun? I'm assuming they're not planted in the same area. I'm thinking it's not your care that's at fault but its location.

• quinnsellars
    11 years ago

I d k where you live but I live in SunlakesAz. I have several bougies , in the direct sun. I find your watering, at least compared to mine, excessive. I have my plants on a drip at 3x per week, 15 mins a day. I have 3 in my back full hell heat yard that are def skimpier than my others that are more enclosed but I think they look like that this year because I gave them this stuff that is supposed to be an additive and work miracles for any plant. Fact is: they like to be left alone, period! This is just my opinion however.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner