Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will my pepper plants survive?

Posted by cuatro4lif Gilbert, AZ (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 21, 12 at 0:20

So I've got several pepper plants currently growing. One Serrano, Two Poblanos, Two Jalapenos. They've been chugging along during this hot summer but just two weeks ago I went on vacation and didn't water them for a little over three days. When I got back they looked rough but were still green. I watered them like I normally would but about a day or two later one of my Jalapenos and one of my Poblanos died. All of the other ones that are still alive have lost almost all of their leaves. But all three (Serrano, Poblano and Jalapeno) still have green stems. I'm nervous about what will happen next to them. I had a great crop of peppers out of all the plants over the spring and I was looking forward to the fall but now I'm just trying to do what I can to keep them alive.

Any suggestions on watering? Fertilizing? or Trimming of them at the moment? I know there is a lot of shriveled up ends on the stems and I'm not sure if its better to cut of those ends or not.

Thanks,
Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will my pepper plants survive?

If you've got green stems and (some) green branches, I'd give them a few days to see how much dies back, then cut off the dead stuff. I have two pepper plants that almost died, but came back to life and new growth after water and pruning. Good luck.

o

Quick follow-up question. Whats the appropriate way to trim back these pepper plants? I see a lot of green branches but they all have brown shriveled ends. Is it better to cut off just the brown part? Or trim the branches back to the stem? Just not sure whats best to induce growth.

o

Prune at a Y intersection and cut at a slight angle so water does not sit on the cut.

o

I'm not picky; I just cut off the dead part. Of the two I saved, both have lots of new green. Don't cut back to the stem!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here